LOW-FI NOUNish noggles by Bigshot

There are multiple NOUNish and Crypto events happening all over the world almost weekly now. We have many friends, Nouners and NOUN communities participating and asking for NOGGLEs and swag.
While our plastic Noggles are amazing, they are pricey and hard to ship and distribute world wide in large quantities at these pop up events. We need a low cost solution that represents the brand, that is high quality and is available to ship on demand world wide. We have an idea for this:

Presenting the LO-FI NOUNish noggles.
these high quality cardboard and acetate noggles are easy to ship, wear and collect.
We can create unique printing for events and sponsored activations or just have a stock in our warehouse ready to ship world wide in packs of 100.

Design, prototype, manufacture and ship to our distribution hub in the US the costs are.
1000 pcs (individually packaged in a poly bag, with a full color printed backer card and header) and bulk packed in sets of 100 - 4.5-5 eth
5000 pcs 16 eth

these will be available to ship at a minimal cost+shipping for the sets of 100
Imagine the entire rose bowl parade route NOUNified ? or a whole esports finals event?

if approved we can start shipping this in time for DCON, BAZEL and Rose bowl parade

I think that small grants can be a perfect place to start with 1000 pcs and then see if it makes sense to extend or do a full prop.

This solution was actually my first thought when i started on the Noggles but i went all in on the plastics.
During this time a number of people suggested doing '3Dglasses like versions" so when Maty asked about it recently i figured that I better do something and here we are. happy to answer any questions, the patterns are already at the supplier so we are ready to go if you are

1 Like

do you have a sample of what they would look like with the standard two-tone glasses?

i think it’s cool to have cheap glasses… but i wouldn’t want them to look and feel cheap…

1 Like

The acetate here was printed on a regular printer so it cant do white. the samples will be a heavy gauge cardboard and the lenses will be similar to the Noggles that we are making (screen printed mesh) will also try tinted acetate as well. totally never make anything that looks and feels cheap =) will need to sample the screen printing once we start

I like it, @maty was telling me about something similar a while back. I think it is cool to have a cardboard version of the noggles. Something like the iconic red/blue 3D glasses, and something that could potentially be distributed for free, like a flyer. Would be good to outsource the pattern, and let different firms in various location replicate it. I dont think shipping from US across the world makes too much sense for example - but could be wrong. In general I feel like we have to be cautious about carbon footprint when producing physical goods. Better to use renewables and limit long distance shipping.

1 Like

Glad you like this. Maty was one of the people that asked me about doing paper noggles recently, and a few others asked about it before. Having these be professionally engineered, printed and packaged with the highest quality materials is what I am going for.
I want to be able to do multiple styles and control the quality. This is not a “DIY at home” type of a thing since we need to have special acetate with opaque screen printing and personal printers do not have the ability to print white as well as other reasons. If an agency needs to make 1000 or more of these why would then just not ask us to make them for them? It will make more sense for NOUNs to have the best quality products representing the brand in my opinion. We can certainly make the pattern available as a downloadable asset so people can have some at home fun etc but for anything of quality I would highly recommend to use us as a service. I want peoples first encounter with NOUN physicals to be of the best quality and design especially for anything that we develop and produce.
here is an example of a quick fun mock up using the disco lenses since white is not an option at home. Happy to release the files, but I would hate to see some poor quality items distributed at any major venue that NOUNs are participating in if that makes sense

Having them in-stock and ready to ship in lots of 100 is far more efficient than having people hunt for a suitable supplier then wait for samples to be made, and try to meet MOQs.

1 Like

Having a GnarsDAO activation made me wish we had cheaper glasses and cheaper shipping for these glasses for distribution and proliferation work. Love this idea and it can be replicated anywhere across the world!

2 Likes

Shipping to Australia and NZ will always be high but we get really good rates so there is that benefit as well. We will also have other items in the shop like pins toys and plastic Noggles as well as some Trophies so having it all come from one place will save across the board.

2 Likes

Bumping this up so we can have production in time for the fall events

the actual cardstock samples with properly screen printed acetate would requre a deposit to start, these are being supervised by my pal Roston Mayer from https://www.popositionpress.com/ he is one of the best paper engineers in the world and manufactures some of the best quality art books.
This is something that we definitely need for any kinds of events and activations globally.

Looking forward to any comments

I really like the idea of cheaper noggles. I’d like to see different color schemes on them because something doesn’t quite feel right with these ones. Maybe a darker ‘noun’ red? I’m factoring these at about $8 each? Part of my reservation may also be that someone else will make a really cheap version for a couple bucks and then this will be in a middle market that doesn’t have buyers. You’ll have trade shows that will get the cheapest option available and people who want ‘real’ ones will get your higher quality ones.

In other words, I like the idea, but I’m trying to figure out the market for them. Thoughts on that?

1 Like

If these can be made in bulk at a low price point, I would personally buy at least a thousand for personal use. Similar to my fingerboards, I’d expect these to be a huge success at conferences and the likes. Being able to fold them flat and slip into swag bags etc is really quite powerful!

1 Like

Thanks Andrew,

These are just proof of concept paper mockups printed on an inkjet home printer and standard acetate.
If this goes forward we will have these printed in proper rich bright colors and the acetate will be screen printed with rich white and black colors just like the regular plastic noggles. The colors would be easy to change and shipping 100 pairs would take the same amount of volume as 5 of my plastic noggles

Paper glasses was my initial idea before i decided to YOLO it into the Noggles that we are making and over the past 6 months multiple people suggested and insured about this idea so I decided to make the best possible version that can be made at a reasonable cost and have them be available in bulk or produced in large quantities with custom art as needed. These would also be warehoused in the same place as our toys, noggles, pins and stickers so supplying multiple items for events like NFTNYC, Art Bazel Rose Bowl or anything that @Aubtoshi needs for NOTG will be as simple as ordering from a menu. Hope this makes sense. If @skateordao or anyone else needs a thousand pcs we can ship them direct from china as well along with custom graphics, depending on timing etc

Everyone is asking if there is a market for these things but in fact there is no traditional market, these are items meant to enhance, promote and proliferate the brand in the best possible way. No one will make any sustainable profit or salary to make this work over long term but these things will make a huge impact and create brand awareness and I intend to make the best versions possible.

1 Like

these will be packed flat in a poly bag with a printed backer card. If you know my work you know that if it says “powered by bigshot” on it it will be the best it can be.

1 Like

Klim doesn’t make anything that looks or feels cheap

2 Likes

Feels like a no-brainer to me. We need these. Klim get’s it and is building amazing quality Nounish merchandise.

1 Like

The other colors will probably make me love these. I’m used to places like Zorch for booth swag. I buy them for my business and I get 100 pairs for around $100 and they are nice, cheap sunglasses. People love them and they cost next to nothing for me, similar to these but with better colors https://chasebranchstore.com/apparel/1373260/hipster-sunglasses-chase.html

If we had a plastic pair with square frames for a couple bucks, it would be killer.

I like the direction you’re going though. Definitely feels more nounish and zany with piece sticking out the side. More importantly, I just trust you as a designer. Your quality and communication are the biggest value to the DAO right now imo.

1 Like

There is a middle ground between paper and a less expensive plastic model but it would involve some more engineering, model making and tooling and I want to see what happens with paper and noggles first before I ask the Dao for more funds, If we get a major sporting event to order or 2023 VMAS or something like that it would make a lot of sense but in the meantime I would focus on these , the plastic noggles and the other swag. it would be easy enough to do the cheaper pair of plastic glasses, I just dont thing we need them just yet.

Happy to take the Dao funds to design, sample and have them ready if there is a need =)

2 Likes

@noun22 @joshuafisher @skateordao
any further thoughts on this? with all of the events coming up I feel that we really need this, If you look at Nouns in Rio, or the meetup in Mexico, these would have been a perfect inexpensive keepsale
We are ready to go when you are

1 Like

awesome! Love the idea of distributing glasses at events.

2 Likes

I think as a proof of concept we can create a set of perfect samples using heavy card stock and screen printed acetate in order to determine feasibility. for 1.5 eth If approved the cost can be deducted from the larger production order @noun22

1 Like