The Nouns Collective is excited to share a draft of the Nouns Android app proposal. As always, we’d love your feedback.
Check out the doc: Nouns: Explore, Create & Play on Android
I’ve also added the text from the doc below. We’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions!
Finally, just want to take a moment to thank this community for all the amazing support and kind words we’ve received for the Nouns iOS app. It makes us very happy to know that people are using it every day and loving the experience. Thank you!
[draft - please share your feedback]
Building on the momentum of the Nouns app for iOS, we are proposing to build an Android version of the app to bring Nouns to an even wider audience. Our goal is to create an app experience that as a minimum reaches parity with the iOS app. More importantly, we would like to explore and leverage the more open Android ecosystem to enable more powerful crypto functionality like connecting wallets to bid, buy and vote on various Nouns. Overall, we want the two apps to serve as a foundation on which developers can build features quickly and consistently across both platforms.
The Android app will support all the great features that were built into the iOS app:
- Receive rich push notifications at Noun o’clock
- Browse all on-chain Nouns along with their bid history and proposal activity
- View proposals that have been submitted to the Nouns DAO
- Create custom (off-chain) Nouns that can be shared on social media and used as a pfp or watch face
- Play with your custom Nouns, make them talk and repeat things, experiment with various voice changing effects
- Share video clips of talking Nouns across social platforms
- Add a widget to the home screen showing the Noun of the day
Given that Android is generally more open as a platform, we plan to explore ways for users to connect their wallet and interact with on-chain contracts. Our intention is to look for unique experiences that combine traditional mobile engagement such as rewards and storing these on-chain.
- Explore ways for users to connect their crypto wallet to the app
- Explore ways for wallet-connected users to receive tokens from the app that would be stored on-chain
- Explore feature gating (i.e. token gating) using in-app currency that would be stored on-chain
- App will be built using Kotlin + Kotlin Native (used by Netflix, Shopify and GoPro) and will fetch data using The Graph API
- As part of developing the Android app, we would like to invest some time unifying parts of the iOS and Android codebases using Kotlin Native. This will increase code reuse between the two projects and will speed up the development of both apps in the future
- Target operating system will be Android 12 and above
- All code and assets will be open sourced. Our goal is to encourage others in the community to use these as inspiration for building more great Nounish things
The product’s design aesthetic will follow the same system / guidelines / flavor that were used to build the Nouns iOS app. However, some work will need to be done to adapt those iOS-centric designs to feel native on Android. We will also be designing new exploratory functions like connecting wallets, displaying on-chain user data, etc.
- Update visual designs so that the overall UX and look-and-feel follow contemporary Android patterns and UI systems
- Share Figma file with the Nouns community to allow for comments and feedback
- Design high-fidelity mockups that detail the functional aspects of user flows
- In the spirit of open source, we will involve the Nouns community to participate and influence the app’s development in a number of key ways:
- Open source the code via GitHub so that other developers can fork and contribute to the project
- Provide regular updates on design and development via Discord
- Start a public beta of the app for the Nouns community to participate in via the Play Console
The Nouns iOS app was launched on May 16, 2022 to some amazingly positive feedback. We hope to garner the same response on Android and bring Nouns to even more users.
The design aesthetic that we established with the iOS app will carry over to Android. Our intention is to create a custom Android app that feels native to that platform.
Concept, design and development is scoped to X months. [TBD - still working on the schedule]
We love to build in public and plan to work closely with the Nouns community, through co-creation workshops and regular feedback loops via Discord. We will be running a beta test of the Android app to identify bugs early and other deficiencies with the aim of increasing build quality and level of polish before launch.
The Nouns Collective is a liquid super team made up of friends building playful, useful and beautiful products with the crypto communities they love.
We’re excited as ever to continue to dedicate our creative energies towards Nouns (our fav NFT project). Inspired by the Nouns DAO origin story, we assembled a dream team of experts to bring the Nouns mobile apps vision to life. Our goal is to make Nouns the best NFT app on every platform.
Introducing the Nouns Collective team:
Rainman, the project lead, is an experienced founder and product leader. He has over 10 years of experience building world-class consumer apps. He’s the founder of an award-winning app studio that was acquired in 2016. There he launched several highly regarded apps including top-ranked iOS and Apple Watch apps featured in an Apple commercial and ranked #1 in Health, another that ranked #1 in Utilities, another that ranked #1 in Education and another that ranked both #1 in Utilities and #2 overall. These apps have been downloaded by millions of people and have appeared in the New York Times and Wired Magazine.
Krish is a technical lead with over 15 years of experience building software products for humans. He’s the founder of a boutique dev agency that was acquired in 2020. His passion for product development is based on the belief that technology can be a driving force for positive change in the world. Career highlights include professional work in games, social media, ecommerce and fintech with companies like Shopify, Zynga, Bitmoji, Kobo and Questrade.
Shawn is a multidisciplinary designer with more than 14 years experience in user experience, research, and interface design. He’s built products for the NFL, Twitter, Humana, Deloitte; ran product at an AI startup; and worked on smaller e-commerce, fintech and crypto products. Shawn also has a background in computer animation, graphic design, and strategic foresight.
Matt is a multidisciplinary researcher and designer with over a decade of experience in the field of product design. He specializes in human centered design, systems thinking, and various approaches to using design thinking and other frameworks/methods to solve complex problems for his clients. With a background in Industrial Design, Matt has built extensive expertise in digital design and customer research, using these skills to build digital products for clients like Google, Facebook, Autodesk, as well as a number of smaller crypto, fintech, and proptech startups.
Ziad is a Senior/Lead Mobile Software Engineer with a master’s degree in computer science, nearly 12 years of experience in end-to-end software development life cycle from architecture design, development, testing, and support. Ziad has built the most popular water tracker mobile app, Water Minder. He’s worked on complex problems like integrating cross-platform features of the eBike system at Robert Bosch to turn the bike into a cutting-edge smart bike, built Android & iOS apps for various clients such as Edyn, School Event Pay, whitetruffle, Park Place, and Parachute.
Arslan is a former Lawyer and current Product Manager who sweats the details and is obsessed with user pain points/needs. He has extensive experience organizing and leading complex, multifaceted projects through his legal work and startup which he operated prior to his law career. Arslan has been a passionate crypto enthusiast since 2017 and has participated within the space in a multitude of ways ranging from ICOs to strategic planning.
Alex is a mobile developer with over 4 years of experience building software applications. His professional career began with building full-stack web apps and cross-platform mobile apps for a small consultancy. More recently, he’s been working at Shopify as a mobile developer with a heavy focus on Kotlin Native. He has a degree in mechanical engineering with a minor in computer science and spent multiple internships working in the automotive industry. His diverse experience has given him an appreciation and unique insight into the tech industry.
We ask that the Nouns DAO fund the design & development of this project. We also ask that they fund the maintenance and updating of the app for a period of 1 year. All code and designs will be open sourced and published on GitHub.
- 175 ETH for design, dev, promotion and deployment of the Nouns Android app
- 15 ETH for 1 year of maintenance and up to 4 app updates including bug fixes and feature enhancements as well as an update to support new Android versions.
- Payment to be made to the Nouns Collective multisig
Our unstated goal with every proposal is not just to proliferate Nounish memes but also to eventually become Nouns holders ourselves. Our long-term vision is to bring more builders into this community and to work with the DAO in a more foundational way. ⌐◨-◨