Non-fungible Aotearoa: documentary about the artist behind Noun Cats

tl;dr

• An 8 minutes documentary on Dean Harvey, the artist behind Noun Cats extension.
  • The focus of the film is to show how NFTs and Nouns are transforming people’s lives in NZ and in the world.
  • We are aiming at international film/documentary festivals.
  • The goal is to inspire more artists to join Nouns DAO.
  • Budget: 12 ETH

WHAT?

A short documentary (between 8 and 10 minutes) on Dean Harvey, the artist behind Noun Cats extension.

WHY?

The focus of the documentary is to show how NFTs and Nouns are empowering emerging artists and really transforming people’s lives in NZ and in the world.

We learn about the Dean’s journey from web2 to web3 and hopefully inspire others to join the web3 movement and Nouns DAO.

We plan to release the film at international film festivals and therefore expose their audiences to the Nouniverse.

VALUE PROPOSITION

• Nouns Dao to sign “Executive Producer” in a documentary aimed at international film festivals.
  • Opening credit “NOUNS DAO presents” at the start of the film.
  • All the raw footage, music and artwork to be added to the Marketing Studio free resource of CC0 assets.

FUTURE / NEXT STEPS

As we researched the web3 space here in New Zealand for an ongoing feature-length documentary, we found a group of very talented artists connected through NFTs and their own DAO. The Wenbreakfast DAO.

So, our next plan is to start a series of spin-offs for a streaming platform. One episode per artist in the Wenbreakfast DAO.

We hope the artists will wish to join Nouns DAO after watching Dean’s film and going through the experience of being the next talent portrayed in our documentary series.

MORE ABOUT DEAN

Among other things, he is hosting pixel arts lessons on twitch for the Noun Cats community.

A firm believer in the power of web3, not only he is working full-time on his project with backseats, but he is also building yet another extension, Early Birbs, with his Discord community.

During the live sessions, the PFP traits are created with the audience, in real-time.

Dean is paying it forward by teaching others the art and technique that transformed his life.

Examples of work:

Noun Cats
Noun Cats

Early Birbs
neon-burb

Coffee and a GM
nft

Coffee and a GM | Foundation

BUDGET: 12 ETH

• Pre-production and research
  • Production: 3 days of shooting in Nelson, NZ with a 5 people team
  • Post-production: Editing / Graphics / Grading and online / Audio Mix
  • Original soundtrack

ROADMAP / TIMELINE

• 2 months from funding to online/final cut delivered

TEAM

Leo Clark (https://twitter.com/leoclark, Discord: leoclark.eth ⌐◨-◨#2267)

Neil Stichbury

Jacob Bryant

Ashton Lee (https://twitter.com/ashtoneys)

• FPV drone pilot

Phil Brough

Rhian Sheehan

Department of Post (https://www.departmentofpost.com/)

• One of New Zealand’s best post-production facilities.

Dean Harvey (https://twitter.com/theharveydean, Discord: theharveydean | NounCats Artist#7165)

• Pixel artist @ Noun Cats.

Thank you for reading and we are looking forward to your feedback.

1 Like

I think this is really awesome. I am a huge fan of short doc series put out on youtube. I think doing expose on lots of artists getting into the space could be really show that it’s real hard working people and artists, not all scams.

Looking forward to this! Let me know if you need someone to put it on chain :wink:

1 Like

Amazing, Brennen.
Can’t thank you enough :pray:

And that is the idea!
Portray hard-working people that the audience can relate to, and hopefully be inspired by.

Let’s get artists into Nouns :muscle:
I will keep you posted :facepunch:

Hey everyone,

First of all, we would like to once again thank Brennen and everyone who voted for us.
We finally have a first cut.
An important reminder that this is an offline, low-res, rough cut.
None of the art, gfx, photos, pixel art and letterings is final. The soundtrack is temporary.
But, we think we have the story we were looking for.

Here is the Youtube unlisted link:

Headphones recommended.
Sound on! And remember to make sure Youtube settings are on 1080 HD.
We hope you enjoy it.

This film is very important to me and I will keep doing all that I can to get it to proper online quality and sent to film festivals.
If the community is happy with it and would like to help us to do this,
here is where we are and what we need for the best possible outcome:

TLDR;
Finish the film: 13 ETH
Optional happy ending in NYC: 8 ETH
Total: 21 ETH

STATUS UPDATE:

• From May 28, 2022 (when we got funded) to when we started filming by the end of June, ETH prices got slashed by ⅔ . We did not sell before that.
  • We did what we could, we onboarded some film industry crew into crypto, asking them to accept ETH at a higher value than the current one, and pulled some favours.
  • But we ran out of money having to sell ETH at all-time lows.
  • On the bright side we got to cover a longer period of time in Dean’s life and we have a better story.
  • And the great news is that Dean has been accepted for NFT NYC 2023, making him the first NZ pixel artist to be a part of the event.

NEXT STEPS:

• Original Soundtrack.
  • VFX artist.
  • Post-production - online, grade, sound mix and deliverables for theatrical workflow.
  • Submission to film festivals.

COST: USD 22.092 or ~13 ETH

OPTIONAL HAPPY ENDING:

• Film Dean during the event in NY.
  • Finish the documentary with an image of Dean at Times Square with his art displayed on the billboard.
  • NFTs brought him from Nelson (population, 50k) to NYC.

COST: USD 12.700 or ~8 ETH

Thank you for your attention.
Cheers,
Leo

1 Like

It’s a wrap! Our documentary is done.

Watch it here:

Thanks to everyone who voted for it and everyone who helped to make it a reality.
Cheers :pray: