Mandated Round: Nouns Governance Clients

tl;dr:

I am proposing we execute another mandated round for 100 ETH to fund 5 teams @ 20 ETH each with the mandate to build alternative Nouns Governance clients.

Summary

Given the success of our first mandated round, I am proposing that we kick-off a second mandated round for Nouns governance clients. For folks who missed it: an overview of the Nouns Client round:

• 35 proposals from top caliber builders
  • 1416 votes casted (a record for Prop House)
  • 4 teams funded
  • A record breaking % of highly desirable proposals
  • Noun-pilled top quality folks

This time around, we’d be inviting builders to propose ideas for an alternative Nouns Governance clients. While our classic nouns.wtf/vote gets the job done, there is a lot more to explore regarding Nouns governance. This might take several directions:

• Delegation marketplace
  • Better info curation to make more informed decisions
  • New voting mechanisms for Nouners to better signal prior to going on-chain
  • Post-funding trackers

The thing to note is that there are good ideas outside of the community and highly competent builders ready to execute on them. Prop House mandated rounds are a way to not only build up the Nouns ecosystem but also onboard top-notch builders as well.

Scope

The mandate would be an open-ended around Nouns Governance such that any client that follows the prompt to improve Nouns Governance is welcome.

The round will be hosted on the Nouns Mandates house with 3 weeks proposal time and 1 week for voting.

Any feedback prior to putting this on-chain is welcome!

4 Likes

Incredibly excited about this. There’s so much design space around this area, and I’m glad to see it explored via a mandated Prop House. We’ve been noodling on some governance clients ideas, and would be excited to pitch them during the next round.

1 Like

This was the kick in the butt I needed to consolidate a list of governance experiments I’d like to see. Published these ideas in this thread.

I think this is very cool :slight_smile: Just thinking that we have more to learn from the first mandated round, so might be worthwhile to wait with this round a bit longer, until we see what people actually end up building, and what the DAO’s reactions might be to those outcomes.

2 Likes

Fair take. What do you think could go off with the first round that would turn us off from moving forward with this? What are the signals/timelines you’d be looking for?

While I agree to some degree, I want to take advantage of builder momentum we currently have. Feels like there’s good pent up demand from highly competent builders wanting to join the ecosystem.

1 Like

to senecas point, i think i would be in favor of another round even if round 1 projects all turn out to be disasters — the underlying mechanic of prop house mandates are too strong to not cont playing around with