Noun-Computer & Noun-Breadbook

Noun Computers

TL;DR

• Grow a generation of new software and hardware developers with affordable, state of the art single board Noun-Computers
  • Noun-Computers and an innovative bread-book device would help people to work on bigger more ambitions projects
  • Showcase Noun Computers at CES and MWC, two of the most prestigious consumer electronics shows
  • Raise additional capital from shark tank investors and put Noun-Computers in schools, universities, and malls around US
  • Partner with ETH global hackathons by providing Nouns-Computers for hardware competitions

Description

• I propose to grow a community of software and hardware developers around Noun-Computers and Noun-Breadbook (aka breadboard)
  • Noun-Computers will be much more versatile and convenient than raspberry pi and arduino boards
  • Noun-Computers will enable people to work on much bigger and ambitious projects thanks to an innovative Noun-breadbook (a reinvented breadboard). The Breadbook is a new type of device that would replace outdated breadboards and allow developers to arrange software and hardware setups more cleanly and understandably. I propose to apply for a few patents and trademarks and later give everyone open access to the inventions if needed
  • The Noun-Devices will be sold at around $30-$50 using a fixed price policy to insure that users do not overpay
  • The earned money will be used to further proliferate NounsDAO by introducing more devices, modules, books, and tutorials. All future products will be branded and aligned with nounish culture
  • We can show the world innovative devices that will be used at universities, schools, and indie projects around the world
  • Bring Nouns to Consumer Electronic Show (CES) and Mobile World Congress (MWC). We will have an opportunity to talk with big companies and media outlets about how NounsDAO builds an internet government, growth a global community of talented people, enables multidisciplinary collaborations, and funds cool projects with a meaningful impact on the future such as Noun Computers

Description

Noun-Computer and Noun-Breadbook are new devices that provide a foundation for inexpensive software and hardware prototyping. Noun-Devices will enable any developer to build a clean, portable, and good-looking hardware prototypes that work. We will be able to reach and educate millions of developers around the globe and build nounish dev communities. With Noun-Computers, NounsDAO will win the hearts and minds of developers. All the devices will be designed to be best in performance, price, and user experience categories.
I have been working in academia for a long time and know that new devices such as Noun-Computer and Noun-Breadbook would significantly improve user experience and inspire people to work on bigger and more ambitious projects.
All documentation, tutorials, and books will use nouns assets as well as electrical components on the computer boards will be arranged in the form of noggles.
The Noun-Computer will compete in performance and price with raspberry pi and arduino boards. The devices will be sold via a fixed price policy to ensure that end users do not overpay.
The Noun-Devices will cost $30-$50. Similar devices on the market are advertised as cheap but usually sold for $100~$160. The money from sales will be used to introduce more nounish devices, books, tutorials, and sponsor eth hackathons.

The problem

Schools and universities do not use single-board computer in their curiculum due to price speculations. For example, a raspberry pi zero boards adversized to cost $15 but only available at $120. By manufacturing your own devices we can prevent any price speculations and make a trully afordable and widely available single-board computers.

How can we reach new communities and establish a sustainable proliferation model for NounsDAO? My idea is to grow a community of software and hardware developers around new, affordable, and innovative Noun-Computers. Noun-Computers will win the hearts and minds of developers by improving the software and hardware prototyping experience.

Above is an image of breadboard-based setups. One of the core problems is that the breadboard-based prototyping setups are not portable, clumsy, and difficult to keep in one piece so that you can’t work on your great ideas from a coffee shop or take your work to a class. Likewise, it is hard to use breadboard-based projects to explain your software and hardware ideas in a concise, precise, and understandable manner. The breadboards was invented back in 1880s and there was no innovation in the breadboard design in the past 143 years! (“Electrical Switch board”). By solving this problem we can reach and educate millions of developers.

Noun-Computer and Noun-Breadbook

Noun-Computer and Noun-Breadbook are new devices that work together and provide a fundamentally new way to work on software and hardware projects. Noun-Breadbook is a reinvented breadboard and my original idea and I would love to work with NounsDAO to bring this game-changing device to life. The key to the success is to make Noun-Computer and Noun-Breadbook complement each other and work together as a one modular system. I believe that Noun-Devices will be widely accepted at universities, schools, startups, and indie dev. It is an expensive project but has a great return on investment and will be a sustainable way to proliferate NounsDAO. We can put Nouns to Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas and generate a lot of positive exposure to NounDAO through press and tv.

The Noun-Breadbook will replace old breadboards allowing easy connection of modules to a Noun-Computer. The pages will be available in different configurations that would increase versatility of the whole system. The breadbook binder will be made from aluminium. The main funtion of the binder is to connect pages together, supply power, and connect the board to ports such as HDMI, USB, AUDIO.

The pages of Noun-Breadbook would be assembled from layers of paper, encapsulation, cathode, and anode. The pages are going to provide a base for soldering components. The pages will be flexible and made using technology used in production of flexible displays. The Noun-Breadbook will be light weight and flexible to enable compact design and portability.

Using Noun-Breadbook as an interactive textbook

Interactive book based on Noun-Breadbook will be a most nounish book in the academia, period! The design of Noun-Computer and Breadbook would allow people to work on creative projects. For example, users will be able to use blank pages to document their work and development progress. Likewise, users will be able to share their work by sharing a printable breadbooks. Noun-Computer and Nouns-Breadbook would be appreciated by universities and schools around the globe. It also possible that in the future the Breadbook would be adopted as a learning platfrom by Computer Scinece and Engineering schools.

Here are the photos of how the Noun-Computer and Noun-breadbook would enchance user experience.

The pages can be used to give instructions to a user.

I will write a book with five complete tutorials that will teach how to develop applications for camera, graphics, network, I/O interfaces, and servo controllers. For example, a Camera Lab would like something like this where you can learn everythhing you need to know to develop applications from scratch. In this Lab, you will learn about implementation and design patterns of a camera applications. For example: take photos and videos; object/face tracking; mapping environment

Display Lab. This Lab will teach you everything you need to know to program computer graphics from scratch. In this Lab, you will learn about implementation and design patterns of beautiful UI and animations.

About me

During my years in grad school, I worked on multiple projects that were published in science journals [1] [2] [3].
Noun-Computer and Nouns-Breadbook are my original idea and I would love to work with NounsDAO to bring this game changing devices to life. I believe that Noun-Computer and Breadbook would be widely accepted in universities, schools, and startups. I will personally visit 20+ universities and give lectures and master classes about Noun-Computer and Nouns-Breadbook. It is an expensive project and I do not think it would be possible without a support from an open-minded community such as NounsDAO.
Here is a photo of my previous single board computer that I developerd during phd years.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/fiveoceans_dev

Timeline

Phase I - Prototyping - 3 months
Nowadays, the development and manufacturing of a single-board computer might be very trivial given the available technology. However, the challenge is to design a perfect combination of single board computer and breadbook layout that would give people a freedom for creative circuit designs and prototyping setups.

Phase II - Manufacturing - 4 months
Mass manufacturing of Noun-Computer devices would require development of manufacruting methods, safety approvals, quality control test. Manufacruting is so difficult and it would be best to outsource it completely to a third party company. The good news is that there are a lot of companies that manufacture electronic schemes and devices. We just need to invest time and money into developing requirements and methods.

Phase III - Proliferation
Proliferation phase is the time when the NounsDAO will be able to harvest fruits from its investment. We will bring NounsDAO to CES, where we along side with most innovative companies. I will personally visit 20+ universities and give guest lectures and master classes on Noun-Computer and Nouns-Breadbook. I will write an Interactive book based on Noun-Breadbook that will be used for ages to come.

Deliverables

• A Noun-Computer will be available at $30-50 price range
  • A Blank Noun-Breadbook will be available at $50-$60 price range
  • An Interactive Noun-Breadbook will be available at $70 - $100 price range
  • Invention patents (to be released for open access)
  • Booth at Consumer Electronic Show
  • Guest Lectures at 20 Universities around the globe

The money from sales of the devices will be used to support future development and manufacturing.

Budget

It is hard to give an exact size of the budget for such a project given volatility of eth and usdc. However, I would think 540 eth would definetly be enough to accomplish all the tasks.

Phase I - Prototyping - 3-5 months
60 eth - Noun-Computer prototype and firmare development

• Select components (Processor, DRAM, Interfaces etc)
  • Circuit design
  • PCB design with 6 layers (noggles branded)
  • Prototype manufacturing and testing

60 eth - Noun-Breadbook prototype development and manufacturing methods

• Binder and flexible pages concept design
  • Breadbook-pages prototype manufacturing using methods used in flexible electronics
  • Binder2pages interface prototyping
  • Pages2modules interface prototyping

70 eth - fiveoceans_dev’s compensation (I will use this money to write and publish an interactive book based on Noun-Breadbook for electrical engineering and computer scinece majors)

Subtotal: 190 eth

Phase II - Manufacturing Funds - 4-6 months
270 eth, 2 months - Mass production of Noun-Computer and Noun-Breadbook (3,000~5,000 pcs)

• Around 1,000 Noun-Computers will be distributed to minorities and volunteers who willing to run ethereum nodes to support infrastructure of a decentralized world (see Nouns x Ethereum Nodes)
  • Branding: nounish packaging, flyers, manuals, tutorials, books

30 eth, 6 months - Patent and trademark applications (From my experience, it is best to apply for patents and trademarks and later offer open access to everyone if needed)
Subtotal: 300 eth

Phase III - Proliferation - ∞ months
60 eth - Nouns booth at 2023 Consumer Electronics Show

20 eth - Guest Lectures about NounsDAO and Noun-Computers at 20 best Universities in USA, EUROPE, ASIA
Subtotal: 80 eth

TOTAL: 570 eth

• Upon completion of the project all excess money will be returned back to the treasury

3/6 Multi-sig

The funds for Phase I will be transfered to fiveoceans_dev. The rest of the funds will be kept in the 3/5 multi-sig and transferred to fiveoceans_dev upon completion of previous phases.
gnosis-safe: 0xFA85bcbDcDAE9113E81C8e0eC25DA9600c73a625

Signers:

• Modrovsky.eth: 0xb8a9Ed8D008FA1F161809f15a11F4161FB8b717e
  • JoelCares: 0x281eC184E704CE57570614C33B3477Ec7Ff07243
  • Brennen.eth: 0xf8A065F287d91d77cD626AF38ffA220D9B552A2b
  • Adrianmcli: 0xE7304bA0f157f2Ade94015934284b6704BC72911
  • Niftynaut: 0xB47A70dF538b9a3B591bC5D75Da66A04c879b291
  • Fiveoceans_dev: 0xDf6e59c6DF1E9500fd35A76FF4C62F9901E90019

Proposed transactions
180 ETH to fiveoceans_dev : 0xDf6e59c6DF1E9500fd35A76FF4C62F9901E90019

380 ETH to Noun-Computers Multi-sig : eth:0xEC33F935A436d704cB50C4d94aFe49Fa253B53fd

1 Like

Could be a great idea to give away some of the Noun-Computers to people to run eth nodes.

Shared by niftynaut

Very fun idea and creative way to get resources into people’s hands to learn with. I like the breadbook idea to keep things organized and help users through a progression.

A couple questions though:

Based on?

What SBC design will the board be based on? There’s a difference between taking an open source schematic and creating a layout that’s in the shape of noggles, and starting with a SOM or processor and designing the circuits. I’m assuming you’re meaning that the project will take an open source design and tweak it but you mention “firmware development” which threw me off.

Alternatively, if I’ve misjudged your skillset - and apologies if I did - what SOM/processor would you use and have you done much of that design work before?

Zaps :zap:

Paper and components generally don’t mix well together. I’d be a little concerned about static discharge but maybe these kits aren’t meant to last too long and ESD is just par for the course.

Differentiation

What would differentiate this from any other box of components and controller or other guides on the Internet? What are we multiplying here or what is this teaching differently?

Hi,

Thanks you, the breadbook idea was born from many many years working in academia on data acquisition and signal processing prototypes.

I have never designed any boards for commercial use but have experience making research systems for biomedical imaging modalities such as sonography, photoacoustic microscopes, and MRI.
In a way, research systems are more advanced because you design new features that do not exist in other boards. On the other hand, the quality is far from commercial systems. You accept that you need to reinstall firmware every other time or reboot system to flush memory etc.
I would have to challenge myself and work full-time to make a decent Noun-Computer. I know a few professor who could help to revise my designs.

Based on ARM architecture

If there is a chance to have enough funds then I would like to design Noun-Computer from scratch around ARM processor architecture. In the past, I used Texas Instruments, they always provide good documentation. For example, AM62Ax Sitara Quad ARM 1.4 GHz, support up to 8GB RAM, cost $12, and supports all nessecary peripherals.

My vision is to make Noun-Computer a master board and move all the ports to a slave board. Then you can connect all the big cables to the binder of the breadbook and computer to the page using pins which would give you a clean working space. You can use whole space to connect modules and build circuits. We can easily make a smaller slave board with all ports for thus who want a similar to raspberry pi device.

Zaps :zap:

As for ESD, don’t really have a definite answer at the moment. The breadbook idea is new and would need some research and experimentation with different materials. I can only say that flexible electronics look very interesting and made impressive advances in the past few years. I would think if we limit power to 5V, it will somewhat reduce the risks of dangerous shortcuts and ESD.

Differentiation

I think we will be able to set a new standard for software and hardware prototyping. I personally want two things: first, I want to be free to choose where I work; second, I want to make good looking setups that people can understand and follow. It is going to be a much more satisfying educational platform to learn coding and hacking. We can provide a solution to millions while proliferating nouns.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments

This is a really cool, fun and interesting concept. I think Ideas like this have a lot of value and are inspiring.Great job and good luck! Looking forward to catching up with you in NY

1 Like

One of my previous work

This is compact, high accuracy, optical electroencephalogram

Altium project
3D model
component selection
pcb
complete board

Still believe that making Noun-Computers and participating in CES and MWC will be a great opportunity to proliferate NounsDAO. Two very popular events and a great way to reach new people

I realized how this project can become a game changer for NounsDAO.

Who are next 1,000 nouners? If we look closely at current nouners, we can see one common trait… they are all blockchain fluent. IMO the reason for this is that in order to appreciate the beauty of NounsDAO you really need to be able to understand it. So it make sense for NounsDAO to sponsor eth global hackathons, an event that gathers thousands of devs every year. If NousDAO would sponsors one of the events by giving money prices, or throwing a party then there is a chance that it would be perceived as one of the sponsors. It would be cool if we can offer something special. IMO, developers would appreciate tools, software, and hardware that helps them learn new skills and allows to create something interesting. A well designed hardware would definitely still a spotlight and enable devs to build real world blockchain native applications. We might be able to attract next 1,000 Nouners by giving devs a cool hardware to play.

P.S. It was worth to send 15 hours in the plane, on the way back from NFT NYC, and think about NounsDAO and Noun-Computers.