Send a Noun into space!

The idea of a noun floating around in ZeroG is hilarious, Is this a common service that anyone can use? We have been approached by a couple of corporate clients to develop stuff to go into space.
Can’t wait to see this execution,

We have dealt with many challenges regarding durability, sample builds, handling and shipping (actually have something going to space early this year) A lot of this depends on the printing material as well as design. While a Saturn Noun may be an amazing idea the last thing you want is for any damage to happen while it is up there being handled in ZeroG, it would be a bad look so please consider that while designing. the character.

1 Like

Sending stuff into space isn’t really a service available for people or companies outside of the science and research industry. The reason is that the cost is quite prohibitive. The cost doesn’t just include the cost of launch (which has gone down significantly), but it also includes the cost of testing and ensuring the object is safe.

Also once it goes into space, you usually need to do something g with the object, and that means an astronaut needs to handle it. Their going rate is $130k per hour.

Regarding the Saturn design - I agree that having such a large head and rings makes the piece less robust and more likely to break during the process. We will likely go with something with a smaller head and no rings.

Geo

2 Likes

it would be possible to construct a “carousel of nouns” built around a camera rig attached to a hot air balloon and send it up and document it. Similar to this project we worked on? Global Rick and Morty Day Premiere in Space — Bigshot Toyworks. have a student competition and pay out some prize money that kids can actually use and maybe get a bit more bang for the ETH than a photo-op? I THink the concept is spectacular, but the staging is totally out f you control so who knows what this photo will look like?

I can reach out to Norm from Mythbusters that may be down to help design this thing which would bring more attention from the maker community etc

That sounds like a cool idea. I don’t see why we can’t do this as a separate and parallel project. The Space Noun project has been voted through so we will go ahead with it, but since the timing of the launch won’t be until late next year, you might be able to get a Noun up in a balloon before my Noun reaches the ISS!

1 Like

Maybe one of the nouns can take lead on this, I can assist and even create the models / interface with the fabricator (i can connect the same team that did the R&M drop) I am insanely busy with a few other projects but I am always full of ideas and can definitely make time to work on this in some capacity. Feel Free to DM me to get the proposal started I can get the costs for the development and execution together and already have a design for the carousel in mind, we can auction off spots for Noun Models to go to space or create a series of new ones to be auctioned off after and donate the proceeds to a school program or something useful without impacting the treasury? This is the service that the Rick and Morty Team used for the launch https://www.sentintospace.com/ they have some super robust capabilities and can get us some amazing footage and perhaps we as a community can build out a story around the trip and possibly the characters that go up? lots to think about

1 Like

astronouns! so cool!

1 Like

1 Like