Sailing PR campaign, Korea Blockchain Week 2022 [6,7 August]

TLTR

Display Nouns glasses on 5 sailboats in the middle of Seoul during Korea Blockchain Week 2022.

Description

• Sail 40 km on five J/24 sailboats with a huge Nouns themed sails.
  • Location: Hangang river, Seoul, South Korea (population 15 million)
  • The river is surrounded with two 20 km highway roads from International Airport to Center of Seoul.
  • photos and videos to promote NounsDAO during Korea Blockchain Week.

Description

https://media.giphy.com/media/XAc2QIWy9ha0ihzFjO/giphy.gif
J/24 sailboat is the most famous sailboat model of all time! I propose to display nouns glasses on 5 sailboats in the middle of Seoul, South Korea. Seoul is home to 15+ million people and a lot of interest towards blockchain and NFTs among the population. The Korean government, businesses, and people are interested in blockchain and the NFT space. Hangang river is surrounded by two highways and will be a perfect place to reach lots of people during rush hours. The two way distance will be around 40+ kilometers. This could be a great opportunity to advertise NounsDAO and attract potential future members and developers.

I personally know lots of sailors who want to participate in the Nouns Seoul PR campaign. We will create a fleet of five J/24 sailboats and sail along the river from Kimpo international airport to Itaewon bridge and back.

Spinnaker sail designs

I have connections to Hyde sails dealership and can place an expedited order for 5 spinnaker sails with printed logo of nouns glasses.

Simple
https://media.giphy.com/media/e1UipL6UKRC4StnprN/giphy.gif
Colorful
spinnaker designs 10kinds.png

Map

https://media.giphy.com/media/PS8lP8bBk0ICeuIYJE/giphy.gif

Roadmap

• Spinnaker sails delivery in 3-4 weeks.
  • Photos from sailing campaign will be available the next day
  • Videos will be available in 1 week

Date & Time: August 6-7th, 8:00 ~ 18:00

August 6th: Kimpo Airport→Gangnam

August 7th: Gangnam→Kimpo Airport

Budget 14 ETH

• 6 ETH will be used to get 5 spinnakers with a painted Nouns Glasses logos
    • Five teams (5 sailors per boat) on five J/24 sailboats will join the Nouns fleet
    • Upon completion spinnaker sails will be given to the teams as compensation for their time
  • 2 ETH prizes to teams (aka compensation for effort and time)
  • 2 ETH compensation to two video/photo operators (stills, video, and drone footage)
  • 1 ETH food & drinks for teams (two days)
  • 1 ETH rent a motor boat for safety&media (safety needed)
  • 1 ETH boat lift for 5 boats (launch boats to river and put back on land)
  • 1 ETH boats mooring fee at the river (one night)

Team

proposed by NounsNation and Korean J/24 & J/70 sailing teams.

This photo was taken last Year in December in Hangang river (It is my J/24 boat named Hugo Boss after the boat of famous British sailor Alex Thomson)
https://instagram.com/hugoboss_j24

https://media.giphy.com/media/dgsjbVKXimEcJLwLMj/giphy.gif

4 Likes

This is a neat idea. Do you have any idea how many people travel those roads on a daily basis? With a 15 million population, I assume quite a lot. What volume of media are you hoping to get from it to use for promotional purposes? Is this part of a larger sailing event or would these be the only boats in the water? Any plans for the sails after the journey? Maybe they could be used some way to continue long term advertising or auctioned off in some manner. I’m just thinking out loud!

Either way, I think this is pretty cool. It feels like one of those things that just might be crazy enough to be effective.

I love nouns, I love boats and I love Korea. Great stuff. What technique are you using for the nounish spinnaker sails? Stickers? I like the simple ones with a plain background. Great to have a strong contrast between the glasses and the background (not sure about the purple glasses on the left though). Would be good to see previous work from videographer since it will mostly be the thing that is viewed the most. Overall very nounish.

2 Likes

Hi, the river has 13 bridges for cars, subways, bullet trains, and pedestrians. Also, there is a 20+ km cycling road, many parks, and high-rise buildings.
The idea is to make as many people remember Nouns-glasses. I identify two types of impressions offline and online. Images of Nouns glasses on 5 sailboat in the middle of the river will spark curiosity in the minds of the bypassers. This campaign is not a spam like poster or post that many of us learned to ignore without noticing. People would remember Nouns glasses and later when they attend a conference or buy NFTs they would recognise the Nouns symbol and would eventually come straight to the NounsDAO!
We hope to put content on twitter and instagram during Korea Blockchain Week. We want to help decorate a pop up coffee shop for Noun 75 during conference, I need to reach out to them first and will post here later.
This event is going to be organised for NounsDAO. There will be only 5 sailboats with spinnakers with Nouns Glasses logos.
The spinnakers are big and span an area of 8 meters in height and 4 meters in width. They definitely can be used as decoration at different events. I think the best use for sails is to give them to the teams. There are about five good regattas every year in Korea, I will provide more content free of charge when we race at different events. I am sure a pretty spinnakers with Nouns Glasses would be appreciated by the teams and used for many years.
The idea is definitely ambitious and crazy!
Thank you for your comment!

P.S.
Here are photos from where people would able to see the Nouns themed spinnakers!

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 8.55.54 PM

2 Likes

Hi! The Nouns glasses will be permanently spray-painted at the sail makers factory. I agree, that the simple designs are much more noticeable. I made various designs, perhaps an emoji vote in the noundry channel would be necessary to identify five winning designs.

This is video taken by the videographer. But a sailboat race in a river would look much better!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGxctxUhqp5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks for your comments bro!

2 Likes

I’m all for it! Hope it gets on chain soon. I’m assuming you’ll need sufficient time to get it manufactured. I can try to get it through Nouncil if you’re ready for a vote. Let me know!

1 Like

[Updates] Final spinnaker designs and cost breakdown

The total budget at the moment would be 18 ETH

• 10 ETH will be used to get 5 spinnakers with a painted Nouns Glasses logos
    • Price of one spinnaker sail is $2,000
    • Cost to paint a logo is $300
    • Delivery fee is $100
  • Five teams (5 sailors per boat) on five J/24 sailboats will join the Nouns fleet
    • Upon completion spinnaker sails will be given to the teams as compensation for their time
  • 2 ETH prizes to teams (aka compensation for effort and time)
  • 2 ETH compensation to two video/photo operators (stills, video, and drone footage)
  • 1 ETH food & drinks for teams (two days)
  • 1 ETH rent a motor boat for safety&media (safety needed)
  • 1 ETH boat lift for 5 boats (launch boats to river and put back on land)
  • 1 ETH boats mooring fee at the river (one night)

After discussion, the best design would be a single color sails with Nouns original glasses

4 Likes

Nice! Love the update. Do you have a sponsor to get this on chain?

Thank you for your valuable comments and support. The proposal is up on chain!
https://nouns.wtf/vote/99

1 Like

Yay! I put my vote for you on Nouncil this morning. :smiley:

2 Likes

Voted yes, happy to support nouns proliferation for my home country + should be a great event with a strong turnout.

I’ll actually be on-site and know the conference organizers as well, so let me know if/how I can support.

2 Likes

Hi, thank you Noun314!
Noun75 is also from Korea and reach out to me. Let’s connect and maybe we can meet all at the conference!

my twitter account
https://twitter.com/fiveoceans_dev

2 Likes

GM,

Prop99 is canceled

Thank you all for your support of proposal 99!

I was planning to advertise nouns on 5 sailboats in the middle of Seoul during Korea Blockchain Week which is going to be held in august 6-7.

UNFORTUNATELY, there was a miscommunication between me and sailmakers. A month ago, I thought that I made a soft reservation to produce and deliver sails by August, however today I learned that the earliest delivery of sails is possible only by September 1st.

After considering different options for the Nouns PR campaign such as different date or different advertising surfaces (not sails), I came to conclusion that all other options would defeat the whole purpose of the campaign and would be inconsistent with the original proposal.

The only right choice is to cancel campaign. After discussing with Noun22, we were able to cancel prop99.

Thank you a lot for your support. I apologize that it did not work.
I am looking forward for other opportunities to work with NounsDAO.

Sincerely,
Fiveoceans_dev

The proposal 99 passed with 77 yes, 2 noes, and 0 abstain.
(prop99/77/2/0)
The proposal was canceled due to problems with logistics.

1 Like

Thank you very much for trying - unfortunately, these things happen. I really appreciate you taking the time/energy on this proposal and I’m excited to see what you do next!

1 Like

If nothing else, save the idea for next year and let’s line it up in the spring!