A proper noun is a specific name for a particular person, place, or thing. Proper nouns begin with a capital letter.
Proper Nouns is a PFP project that is a derivative of Nouns. While a Noun is usually a thing (burger ) or animal (panda ), Proper Nouns are unique people. Proper Nouns are for everyone. Since Proper Nouns are unique individuals, they should also have a unique look and personality. We’ve taken all the original nouns bodies and accessories, and have created a lot of new ones. We’re also going to be introducing new traits to the layering system. (Skin color / mouth / hair and head accessories / extras / new backgrounds)
- The owner of the Proper Noun will be able to name their noun on-chain. This ties in with the “Proper Noun” name of the project.
- Just like Nouns, Proper Nouns will be fully on-chain. No off-chain or IPFS links.
- Proper Nouns artwork will be CC0, in the spirit on Nouns.
- There will be 500+ traits for Proper Nouns (162 are original Noun traits from body and accessories, so over 350 new and unique traits.) This allows the characters to not have too much repetitiveness when they are generated. There will also be different rarity levels to some of the traits. For instance, Noun Head Accessories will be more rare.
- 40 (or more) 1 of 1s. We wanted to add some fun call-outs to other cool projects in the NFT space, and do them in our Proper Nouns style.
- 8888 Proper Nouns - We think the large number allows for a lot of people to be part of the Proper Nouns community. The more people who own Proper Nouns, the more people will have their PFPs on Twitter be a Proper Noun with Nouns glasses. We also think with the larger amount of holders, it’s easier to justify / incentivize building on top of Proper Nouns and Nouns. (Also the Nouns were launched on 8/8 so we like that number.)
- .033 minting cost - We wanted to keep it relatively low so hopefully cost won’t be an issue for people. Also considering how expensive gas has been recently.
- All noun holders will be able to mint 5 Proper Nouns for free.
- 88 Proper Nouns will be reserved for the founding team. Marketing and giveaways will also come from this amount.
- 70/30 split - 70% of profits will be split evenly with the team, and 30% will go back to the Nouns treasury.
- 5% royalties - We can also do a 70/30 split for the royalties on the secondary market.
- Art for 8888 Proper Nouns
- Managing and building a Discord / Twitter for promoting the project / community building.
- Website and contract for minting Proper Nouns as well as a directory of all the Proper Nouns with their name/bio.
Could be part of a second proposal in the future / not part of this initial project.
- GM / GN Generator
- Art Contest
- Games that promote Proper Nouns / Nouns
- Collab with other artists to draw Proper Nouns in their own style.
- Free mint to Proper Noun holders to claim a companion/pet.
- Maybe do the full body of the proper noun as well (allows for more traits and uniqueness with pants and footwear and other accessories)
- Since everything is on-chain, allow for customizing your Proper Noun?
- Merch for Proper Nouns
Just some explorations. Kid Noun (left) original sketch by the amazing Gremplin.
- Jad - Project Lead / Artist / Community
- Devin - Frontend / Solidity Dev
- Mike - Artist / Creative Direction
1 month - initial PFP launch (minting will be done on a Proper Nouns website)
1 month - Directory of Proper Nouns where you can view all the Proper Nouns and learn about them with their name/bio
6 Ξ total (can be paid once the PFP project goes live)
- 3 Ξ for contract development and deployment costs.
- 1 Ξ for each person on the team.
Marketing support - This is probably our most important ask. If our goal is the proliferation of Nouns, then any support from the Nouns team will be great in this area. The more successful Proper Nouns become, the more funds go back to the Nouns treasury and the more that we will be able to continue to direct awareness to the Nouns brand.
Jad (@jadlimcaco) - Launched a successful NFT project called Nue Geo. Made different sites and resources for fellow designers. (Principle Repo / Design Systems Repo). In my previous design blogger life, I built a successful design blog called Design Informer, merged with Smashing Magazine.
Devin (@dvnabbott) - Creator of OpenPalette, a generative NFT art platform. Also created Studio 721, a free, all-in-one tool for configuring, deploying, and verifying custom NFT smart contracts. Trained the Coinbase mobile app development team, and before that, frontend developer at Airbnb.
Mike (@michalpechardo) - Freelance artist. Senior Designer at NVIDIA, previously worked as lead designer at SmugMug / Flickr and Turo.