Proposal: Nouns Psychogeography with Dustin Yellin - Person, Place or Thing

Hey all. working on my first nouns proposal. would love early feedback so we can have a solid proposal before we make it official.

PERSON, PLACE, or THING (PPoT)
A new Dustin Yellin, Psychogeography, which maps all NOUNS. DAOs offer the greatest innovation in governance the world has ever seen. As both an homage to, and a final cast that breaks the mold from which all Western political theory springs, PERSON, PLACE, or THING (PPoT), revisits and updates the OG collage-like image depicting the social contract, Abraham Bosse’s frontispiece for Thomas Hobbes’ Leviathan (1651), by building a composite Psychogeography composed of all minted NOUNs to forge a record of the history of the NOUNS DAO, while branding its newest emblem.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
In preparation for the publication of Leviathan, the book’s author, Hobbes, sat with noted artist, Bosse, to create a visual image that not only summed up the thesis of the book, that the state derives its power from the collection of bodies that constitute it, but to give that idea a powerful avatar.
Bosse presented a giant sovereign arising from the mountains above a city. Upon zooming in, this ruler’s body is made up of hundreds of smaller figures representing the citizenry, who
together, form a kind of fish scale-like suit of armor protecting and making up the figure of authority. Over this personage, who represents the collective order, is a banner that states:
“There is no power on earth to be compared to him”; in the book itself, Hobbes penned the often-quoted phrase that “knowledge is power”, or more specifically: that the organization and use of knowledge is the base from which power stems.
Like Hobbes, the NOUNS DAO is predicated on forming and testing new ways of gathering. In order to stoke and tease this effort, Dustin Yellin proposes to update the Leviathan image by creating a new
imaginative portrait that layers each NOUNS avatar into one fantastic body emerging from out of the landscape. Much like a yearbook, a ship’s manifest, or the signatures under a document, this snapshot will provide a freeze frame of the DAO’s founders and builders. This all-is-one super-avatar will represent the shared vision and trust between all stakeholders, while providing a rallying banner, an art object, that crystalizes how individuals are more powerful when they come together, and how a community can achieve the seemingly impossible by focusing its collective resources and talents around a common task.

1 Like

The previous post showed a rough sketch of how the supernoun sculpture may look head on. here is a picture of a similar sculpture to show roughly how it could look.

These sculptures are over 3000 LBS, roughly 6 feet tall and about 2.5 feet wide and 2 feet deep.
The artist will agree to place the sculpture in a museum or high profile public space, in consultation with Nouns.

one more picture.

we are also thinking about ways that the individual noun holders could participate in addition to seeing their noun inside this sculpture. one idea is to offer noun holders the ability to buy a miniature (10-14 inc) 1/1 handpainted glass sculpture crafted in the same manner.

more on dustin’s work here:

1 Like

this is a pretty cool proposal and great opportunity for the dao.

perhaps a way to involve nouners and give this piece an opportunity to live in a digital medium could be to create a collection of NFTs that feature each of the Nouns in its respective area of the super avatar. its a bit of an undertaking, but could be a chance for each nouner to own their piece of the statue. and it’s akin to a derivative collection. the royalty could be an additional way to create value for Dustin.

anywho, all in all really excited about this.

yes. love the idea of a new NFT creation where the nouners get an airdrop or something similar. however, we were nervous about this angle since some people don’t love the derivative idea. If people are positive on that as part of this project, i’d be all over it. perhaps one compromise is that everyone gets the airdrop and also the holder of that gets to purchase a small physical as well.
happy to chat one on one as well if you want to brainstorm on details for the project. i’m easy to find on twitter.

thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to clarify that for this proposal, the Nouns DAO will own the artwork. i would suggest that we put it on display for at least 2-3 years in prominent locations and then we can decide when and if we sell. I would imagine that it would fetch a price of at least $500k if not more.

expanded proposal is here

In April 2022 the Nouns DAO voted on and executed Proposal 48 - Nouns Psychogeography Sculpture with Dustin Yellin, wherein the Brooklyn-based artist was commissioned to update the Leviathan image by creating PERSON, PLACE, or THING, a new sculptural portrait layering each Nouns avatar into one fantastic body. For the commission, Yellin hand painted the 402 Nouns minted in Year One, integrating them into a unique glass artwork to forge a record of the history of the Nouns DAO, while branding its newest emblem.

Much like a yearbook, a ship’s manifest, or the signatures under a document, this snapshot provides a freeze frame of the DAO’s founders and builders. This in-all-is-one super-avatar represents the shared vision and trust between all stakeholders, while providing a rallying banner - an art object - that crystalizes how individuals are more powerful when they come together, and how a community can achieve the seemingly impossible by focusing its collective resources and talents around a common task.

Upon acceptance of Proposal 48, the Nouns DAO compensated the artist with an initial deposit of 50ETH and made a donation of 100,000 USDC to the non-profit cultural center, Pioneer Works.

A second payment of 50ETH and 1 Noun NFT (Noun 252 from the Nouns treasury) was agreed to be paid upon completion of the PERSON, PLACE, or THING sculpture and its accompanying NFT.

Link to images of the finished sculpture: PERSON, PLACE, or THING

Link to the NFT: Psychoprogeny - Person, Place, or Thing

In addition to the artist’s compensation, 12ETH is requested to cover the expense of crating, transporting, and installing PERSON, PLACE, or THING in the foyer of the main dining room of the Manhattan social club, Zero Bond, and back to the artist’s studio at the conclusion of the loan period.

Upon acceptance of this proposal, the NFT for PERSON, PLACE, or THING will be transferred from DustinYellinDeployer to a Nouns DAO wallet. The artist will provide an informative label to accompany the sculpture at Zero Bond, including details about the work and its ownership by Nouns DAO.

hey max! great to hear it’s completed, sounds like someone needs to spin up a proposal to the DAO for a transfer of the remaining funds/noun. if the noun is sitting with the nouns acquisition committee i’d reach out to noun22

in regards to transportation costs, your previous comments on the prop noted his gallery would be placing it and we wouldn’t have to worry about logistics or storage.

the actual prop itself also mentioned that “Upon completion, Yellin will loan the physical artwork to exhibitions for the next 3 years minimum.”

You/Destin/anyone is free to also put up proposal requesting 12 ETH for funding, but not sure what the DAO’s appetite will be to fund based on the above when we’re already expecting it to be loaned to exhibitions for 3+ years as part of the prop 48.

sorry for the delay and sorry about the confusion. i have to admit i wasn’t fully thinking about the costs, more logistics, hassle and securing placement in an A+ space. i think it is reasonable to cover shipping costs to and from zero bond given the exposure. the team would like to have this cleanly all in one proposal which makes sense to me. if you don’t think thats a good idea, happy to jump on a call with the team and any nouners to figure something out.

I can’t really speak for the DAO, just noting that your comments above about the gallery agreeing to place it and the prop noting to lend to exhibitions for 3 years made it seem like no additional fees would be needed in the short term.

there are no calls that take place where any of the larger voting blocks participate so you’d need to probably just explain and try to justify in a proposal if planning to request the additional funds