We credit our motivation to existing posts and discussions in the Nouns community from Noun 40 and Seneca. As prop builders ourselves (Prop 87: Vector DAO x NYC NFT), we are very much in agreement and believe that closing the loop on the incentive structure / feedback look would accelerate builder momentum and accountability.
As 142 and others have pointed out, we hope that this will also serve as mechanism for Nouners to reflect on the kind of props and types of builders who have the most likelihood of succeeding, and improve the DAO’s funding decisions over time.
Retro House aims to reward a defined number of ETH per quarter to a set of the most impactful on-chain props ranked by Nouner voting. To do this, we will build an app and contract that will be able to execute retro rewards as permissionlessly as possible.
How it works:
- A new round of retro rewards is triggered quarterly by submitting a proposal to Nouns DAO to fund new prizes.
- All passed proposals are automatically entered into the Retro House as voting options.
- Builders of the props can submit progress updates at any time to help Nouners better understand the impact of their prop.
- Nouners use the Retro House app to read progress updates from props – which offers sorting and filtering by date, funding amount, last updated, etc.
- Right before quarter end, a ten day voting period is started during which Nouners vote on what they consider to be the most impactful props. Each get 10 votes / noun.
- Upon voting close, we will distribute payment to winning props. During this first round, we will manually verify all addresses and resolve any disputes that might arise.
Rough wireframes below
- We’ll working with Maty (discussing right now) to follow up with prop builders to encourage them to submit progress updates
- For each prop, any address that proposed the prop, or received funds from the prop can submit updates
- Proposals are eligible to win multiple times, though past winners will be marked marked as having won, for visibility during future rounds of retro rewards.
- Retro House team will verify winning prop addresses, to resolve potential dead addresses and disputes where multiple addresses involved in a proposal. If funds are not claimed after 120 days, then funds are sent back to Nouns DAO.
This proposal’s goal is to build the minimum necessary application to run a successful retro reward round to prove out the idea, which means we’ll be running the fund disbursement process manually via a multisig, which gives us the opportunity to resolve any potential edge cases.
If this round is successful, we will submit a second proposal to build a contract that will codify the voting, fund disbursement, and dispute resolution so that the entire Retro House can become a permissionless and open source protocol, much like where Prop House is headed. This will ensure the longevity of the project, and allow any nounish community to leverage Retro House to fund their projects.
The best projects are shipped quickly and then observed in the wild on impact. In order for Retro House to run quarterly, we are aiming to ship the application in ~6 weeks so that funds can be disbursed by the end of Q3 deadline (September). In order to expedite what would be normally a much longer build, we will be staffing the project only with senior talent.
|7/28 – 8/11||Product design & technical scoping||Design complete|
|8/11 – 9/1||Development||v0 site ready for community testing|
|9/1 – 9/8||Testing, revisions||Site shipped|
|9/8 – 9/18||Builders update their page with progress report||A large % of builders update their project page|
|9/19 – 9/25||Nouner voting period||A ranked list of projects is produced|
|9/26 – 9/30||Disburse rewards to winners||All winners are paid|
We are requesting funding for Q3 Retro House, a 2 months of development and building budget, as well as 1 month of operations for the initial round.
Q3 Retro House reward: 800 ETH
ETH prizes will be distributed in a top-heavy format of 25% for the most voted proposal (e.g. 200 ETH in this case), 25% for the next two (100 ETH each), 25% for the next 4 (50 ETH each), 25% for the next 8 (25 ETH each). For future quarters, our team will lead the process to take feedback from the community, offer different options, and drive consensus on the next version of rewards and tiers.
Design and development: 145 ETH
We’ve assembled a team of senior talent so we can move quickly to get this app built and round funded by end of Q3, in order to start a quarterly cadence for retro reward.
Round 1 Operations: 20 ETH
Payment operations & dispute/fraud resolution
Community management & builder outreach
we will permanently recuse ourselves from being eligible to receive retro rewards on this proposal in order to avoid any potential conflicts of interest that might arise. Any other props build by Vector would be otherwise eligible as normal.
Vector will be driving the design and development of this project. We’re a collective of designers and developers who’ve done dozens of project in crypto, and recently built prop 87 for nouns. We’ve also enlisted trusted members of the community as collaborators to do community outreach, and to act as signers of the multisig.
We’d also like to give credit to Noun40 & Seneca for seeding this idea, and Noun40 for further sponsoring and advising us on this proposal.
Design and development: Vector
- Overall project lead: Charlie Feng
- Design: Yitong Zhang
- Engineering: (TBA in 1-2 days)
- Engineering: (TBA in 1-2 days)
- Community: (In discussion with Maty)
- Payments, verification and disputes: Charlie Feng
- Yitong: yitong.eth
- Charlie: charliefeng.eth
- Noun40: noun40.eth
- Jacob: jacob.eth
- Seneca: signer.seneca.eth