NSFW: Lamma Island Beach Cleanup (Hong Kong)

Hi Nouns community!

TL;DR: a community beach cleanup on Lamma island “Dogs beach” to redistribute some ETH based on the amount of trash collected. Create some teams with kids and grown-ups and have fun picking up trash.

There was a big typhoon late August and the beach is a bit of a mess with debris everywhere. It is a family beach where we leave a lot of gears (canoe, boats, paddle boards etc) and it is very lively on the week end, We would get a lot of cool media content out of it, photos and videos (drone shot, group shots etc).

We would like to make two groups: “Big items” and “Micro plastics”.

On top of that we want to educate people about crypto and nouns and help them setting up wallets.

We would like to ask for 1.5 ETH:

• 1 ETH to distribute to the community with a cleaning game with ETH as a reward. We would like to distribute it as much as possible.
  • 0.5 ETH organize the cleanup: rent a vehicle to get the trash to the collection point, refreshments, and media costs.

Its a cool place with a hippy vibe and lot of nationalities represented (also called dogs beach). Nounish for sure!

Who we are: @Josan_studio/@greennouns and @Coralorca .

2 Likes

awesome - NSFW is happy to fund this small grant for 1.5 ETH – please keep us posted with updates and pics/vids from the event!

2 Likes

Dope! Love the idea of another clean up project. I honestly think that this could develop into a pretty substantial impact globally.

Its hard for people to just go out and pick up after others, but with nouns providing funding it could really help provide for initial gear procurement and opportunity to build a mentality of stewardship in the local community. Overtime each location could develop a primary clean up squad with all the necessary materials stored or held by a member. Members could then setup outings that would cycle through several locations over a period of weeks or months to maintain the quality / cleanliness.

One aspect is showing before and after photos, images and the weight of the trash collected, also the type of trash collected. This data is cool for the members, but it also could be brought to local sanitization organizations to develop plans on mitigating the release of the trash into the environment.

1 Like

Yeah thanks for the comments @baguHanto! it would be interesting to have this exercise very well defined and replicable anywhere with a simple set of rules. For now we are still experimenting and learning!
We definitely plan to have before and after photos and show the amount of trash collected, either by weight or by number of bags.
Regarding the gears, we just thought of a few heavy duty gloves (we are reluctant on giving away disposable plastic gloves to collect plastics!). We might provide some baskets for micro plastic collection.
We are excited about this! Any suggestions welcome

Thank you @noun22 ! We are glad to make this happened and we will make a lots of nice images!

@BaguHanto totally agreeing with you and as Coral said we support the idea of making this type of actions more global thanks to Nouns.

This is also a very good way to meet people and introduce them to Nouns. Go Nouns for the planet :slight_smile:

I came across this while in Mexico. Its a diy sand rake. Makes collecting the smaller particles wayyyy more efficient. I found a video a while back showing the construction of a sand trash rake, but I can’t locate it again. Either way there are a lot of videos on youtube making “sand flea” rakes, but they are essentially the same thing.

May need to pick a mesh size that suits your needs best though.

3 Likes

That’s great. Thank you for this idea. Let’s try to build some!

Love this! Lets keep this up!

I love these! It would be cool if we could do a small grant competition to come up with a sign of some kind to put up for a few weeks after these projects. ‘Nouns was here’ or something along the lines to help promote the fact that Nouns does good in the world.

2 Likes

Ohh good idea. What about something similar to the adopt a highway signs we have in the states?

Those signs are based on continuous donations, but it would be cool to see signs stating “Clean beaches are Nounish” or something silly along those lines.

Hey @toadyhawk, maybe this could be a contest idea for Nounsquare? Come up with designs for signs to post at cleanup sites. Would be a fun continuation of what you’re doing. Top 3-5 get .1 ETH and we could have print ready images for people to use around the world.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

Following up this project, we have done the cleaning yesterday! It was a success with 14 people cleaning almost 30 bags.

Roughly 150kg of small plastic item + 100kg of big items.

We found a bit of everything. This is an infinite work, but thats always rewarding to do it!

Act locally, help globally.

Thanks again to make this possible!

1 Like

More images and videos coming soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great job! It’s super cool to see projects like this get completed.

1 Like

NICEEEE!!!

I love these!

Throughout this project is there a pattern emerging of the type of trash being collected and where it may originate from?

I am curious because if we can identify the source and begin reducing its output so we can reduce the amount of trash that needs to be cleaned up.

Thanks Bagu!

It was super nice and rewarding at same time.
On the other hand truly sad to see that even though we were filling the bags to the max, the beach was not 100% clean at all in the end. So though to get all the microplastics. Next time we will definitely build the DIY sand rake because it’s impossible otherwise.

In terms of thrash I think we found mostly polystyrene pieces and food containers. A lots of toothbrush as-well (on a beach :dizzy_face:) and flip-flops or shoes sole (like a lot). We also found some weird medicines bottles in quantity (15-20 dispatched around the beach). The rest is mostly destroyed unidentified plastics.

Strangely we did not found a lots of covid 19 masks (I was thinking we would find a lot!).

The after cleaning video is cooking up in editing and coming soon :slight_smile:
We will post it here and on twitter and discord once it’s done :fire:

1 Like

So happy to see all this prop be it beach clean up or cleaning of city etc.
Lets continue this and keep proliferating.
This is a movement that SHOULD BE replicated and can be replicated easily.

A greener earth, couldnt get more NOUNISH ⌐◨-◨ !

1 Like

Just realising we did not post on the discourse :slight_smile:

We have made a quick video for the recap of the beach cleaning event!

Just posting it here for those who haven’t seen it on Twitter: