Nouns funding hyperstructures

I’ve been thinking about this for 10 days now (thanks a lot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and I wanted to run some thoughts by you.

First, I was considering why this didn’t quite sit right with me. My mind went to the Wright brothers of all things. There were many nations in the world that were trying to fund flying machines at that time, but the Wright brothers beat them all to it without any outside funding. Why? I can’t say with certainty, but I think it had something to do with their extraordinary obsession with being the first to solve the problem. They had to be hungry to see it through, not enticed, in order to ultimately win the race.

My fear is that if we provide a funding reward for going after the problems in the ETH ecosystem, that we’ll end up throwing the money away without tangibly increasing the incentive to solve the problems. I don’t actually think any monetary reward would increase that incentive when it comes to blockchain. The incentive is inherently built in and it’s the reason why people came to crypto and web3 in the first place, to have an island of life that is truly free. Now that it’s established, those who came already have every incentive to maintain and expand that freedom further.

My second concern is that no matter what is created, the government can still come in and screw it up. Tornado is the example again. When it comes to crypto, it’s greatest feature (everything is recorded and checked so nobody can cheat) is also it’s greatest vulnerability to government intervention. So we can try to use our treasury to create more apps that can fill in the gaps that exist or we could try something else.

What if Nouns made the overarching goal to use the treasury to expand the meme and to strive to be healthy, productive, contributing members of IRL society. A brand with exponential growth that isn’t evil. An NFT that isn’t a scam or waste of time, but instead contributes good to society while being fun at the same time. In short, instead of creating ways to make systems unstoppable, we convince the world that these systems are something they wouldn’t dream of trying to stop.

I know that might be a bit off topic, but I had to at least get it out of my head and type it out. I really like your idea and I’m really enjoying the conversation, so I’m doing my best to poke holes in it and interrogate the gaps in my thinking.

Thoughts?