NOUN HAUS: An Experimental Venture Studio for the Nouniverse

TL;DR

An experimental venture studio for the Nouniverse, ready to fund and spin up powerful Nounish models that will target domain specific applications.

Background

Proposal 51 rewarded the extremely nounish Gnars DAO with 69 ETH to sponsor Nouns Athletes after a 3 ETH proof of concept funded by Small Grants, which along with a myriad of other nounish experiments, informs this proposal and its approach in solving for proliferation (as opposed to propagation).

0 → 1 → N

Nouns DAO exists to facilitate a virtuous cycle of “proliferation” and yet despite our success, most of what we have funded is in fact “propagation.” This is most likely a function of first needing to occupy our own space (propagate) before we can divide and conquer (proliferate).

As nouns the difference between propagation and proliferation is that propagation is the multiplication or natural increase in a population while proliferation is (uncountable) the process by which an organism produces others of its kind; breeding, propagation, procreation, reproduction.

Small Grants was formed to facilitate the issuance of smaller grants. By spreading our bets across a broader subset of opportunities we’ve accelerated propagation. In some cases we’ve enabled early examples of proliferation by funding various proof of concept proposals as a “validation” step.

NOUN HAUS is an alternative to Small Grants who maximise daotput by empowering communities, artists and entrepreneurs to proliferate Nouns as domain specific extensions – from zero to one to n.

0 → 1 → N

• 0 = validate
  • 1 = propagate
  • N = proliferate

Inspired by Bauhaus and akin to having an ‘entreprenouner’ in residence, NOUN HAUS is well poised for the arrival of Nouns Builder and is testament to what Noun 22 said on Bankless when you consider the impending onslaught of nounish extensions:

I think what’s critical to the future of scaling the dao […] is finding other ways to do small grants programs that get one to two ETH into the hands of as many talented builders as we can and then use that as a way to onboard them to the dao and then scale up their contributions…

A key insight gained through our six months of full-time (and capital) dedication to Nouns is that smaller sized grants VALIDATE so builders can PROPAGATE; but it’s extensions that PROLIFERATE ⌐◨-◨

Pro-liferators

NOUN HAUS as a concept presents the opportunity to experiment with unbundling Nouns DAO, while having a positive curatorial influence on its proliferation.

We’ve already positioned ourselves to focus on Nouns DAO contributions full-time, and by establishing NOUN HAUS can amalgamate our contributions:

Gami (0xigami.eth)

Prior to joining Nouns DAO with the purchase of Noun 189 (from skateordao.eth), Gami had already forked Nouns once (Skate or DAO) and would go on to fork it thrice more. His extensive nounish experiments include:

He’s currently conducting a number of additional experiments anonymously, adivising on various other proposals, nouns-pilling an extensive network of builders, and has referred many opportunities to Small Grants and Prop House.

Benbodhi

After a self inflicted Nouns-pilling in the early months of Nouns DAO’s launch, he was immediately drawn to the elegance of the protocol and shifted everything he was doing to become nounish af. About 9 months on, we’re witnessing the birth of the nounish pro-liferatooooors in a team of ultra passionate and dedicated builders.

What he’s been up to since diving deep into the Nouns DAO rabbit hole:

• Proactive member of Nouncil, hosting 1 of 2 weekly Nouncil calls, handling admin of new memberships and trusted member of the Nouncil multi-sig crew.
  • Ran an independent art contest with the Nouncil Permissionless Grant that achieved impressive statistics in terms of impressions of and engagement with nounish art.
  • The Noun Square founding team, host, admin and trusted member of the multi-sig crew. The Noun Square is a daily twitter space celebrating Noun O’Clock, every day, forever.
  • Consulting, advising and ideation for proposals, the first of which was successful (NOC front end client), with more in the pipeline TBA.
  • Board and Moderator at Gnars DAO, spreading the nounish meme IRL in a domain specific environment (in collaboration with Gami).
  • Helping people onboard to Nouns DAO with lengthy discussions about the protocol and community plus how to be engaged, even without owning a Noun.
  • Introducing, explaining and funneling people to small grants and the different funding options within the DAO.

What To Expect

An experimental venture studio for the nouniverse, ready to fund and spin up powerful Nounish models that will target domain specific applications.

• Strong nounish brand that ventures beyond our current audience
  • Migration from art.haus to noun.haus including all required SEO redirections
  • All existing content tailored with calls to action pertaining to Nouns onboarding
  • Steady growth on approx 1 million google search appearances during the past year

• Displaying ⌐◨-◨ in 1 million website owner dashboards plus the public WP repository
  • Detailed and transparent documentation of our work, further enhancing search presence
  • Twitter threads demonstrating the many facets of Nouns DAO to would-be proliferators
  • Regular Twitter Spaces and Podcast episodes openly sharing and discussing ideas
  • Some level of influence over nounish extensions as a means of quality assurance
  • Nouns Builder expertise and pre-Nouns Builder experience with manual forks
  • Complementary endeavours to the fine folk at Small Grants and Prop House
  • Many smaller bets on creators with potential to accelerate from 0 → 1 → N

Proof Of Concept

One initial proof of concept in the works is NounPress, starting as a rebrand of the 62nd most popular WordPress plugin SVG Support. This is a plugin focused on enabling site owners to use SVG formatted images within a system that doesn’t support them natively… Display Nouns in their native SVG format.

With nearly 1 million active users, the opportunity for eyes on the brand is immense. This will be rolled into a suite of web3-ready WordPress plugins and likely become a complete fork (hence NounPress) of the most popular CMS (used by 37% of ALL websites) on the web today.

Funding

Requesting 250 ETH for a six month engagement whereby:

• 100 ETH deposited to a small grants like fund managed with a 2 of 5 multisig setup at nounhaus.eth
  • 150 ETH streamed over 6 months to remunerate operations and associated rebranding of assets

Upon completion of a six month term NOUN HAUS is expected to be entirely self-sufficient in terms of operational costs and intends only to submit further proposals to Nouns for grants fund refills if and when necessary. We have every intention of applying our learnings to innovate on operational expenditure funding.

As pro-liferators, we look forward to our contributions speaking for themselves and trust that you’ll support this proposal. Our passion and dedication to Nouns DAO is unwavering and there’s nothing we’d rather be doing as entrepreneurs!

Every day,
forever.

Oliver :skateboard:

aka Ollie aka Noun 189 aka Skateboard Pfp

⌐◨

I’m in. I’ve been fortunate to watch these two work and have been impressed time and again. Goals feel clear and can imagine they will come up with even more wonderful ideas.

Funding Gami and Ben to work on Nouns full time feels like a big win. Let’s get you two in SharkDAO asap.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the kind words!

Also, I’m here all weekend to answer any questions that may arise. Will also commence migration and rebranding of art.haus to noun.haus as I’m going for it regardless of this proposal’s outcome :slight_smile:

Loads of potential inbound builders, collectors, community members, creatives etc.

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for such amazingly kind words :pray:

Really excited about continuing to maximise daotput around NounsDAO. I’ve literally had the best time so far and will continue to stay nounish af.

:heart:

2 Likes

I like how the team has captured the current Nounish Vibe … amazing work Gami and Ben

2 Likes

I think this is an interesting / cool idea. Like I’ve said before (and is quoted in your proposal :nerd_face:) I think we need to do whatever we can to scale our ability to fund small asks of individual builders. Gami, you have been in the community for a long time and been on the forefront of experimenting with the subDAO model, and you are someone who I think has a unique/differentiated viewpoint and I trust would be able to fund and help develop Nounish projects. I had a few questions about this proposal:

• You mention that Small Grants was formed to facilitate smaller grants, though the group has since evolved to have a fully open discretionary mandate (we’re going to change the name soon to reflect this). Will Noun Haus have a specific mandate for things that you’d fund, or do you intend for this to be totally up to your discretion like Small Grants? It sounds like you will focus on Nouns Builder projects (very exciting) but do you envision expanding beyond that?
  • Is this a for-profit pod or a grants program? It sounds like you’ll be doing both. You mention you will request more grants funding in the future, but when it comes to operations/compensation funding, that will be funded by the returns you are making from investments in the future? What are some of the ways that you plan to generate revenue?
1 Like

is this a noun salute? :saluting_face:

gami is obviously a meme genius and one of the most prolific nouners around

I have very high confidence in gami (and ben) and excited to see them do bigger and bigger things in the space

but I’m still not entirely sold on this proposal:

• can you provide more examples of how clients would work together with the venture studio? what type of projects would excite you? whats the user journey like?
  • is nounsdao the only “LP” here?
  • will you be self-sustaining (ie, make profit)? and how?
  • corny, but where do you see the studio in 10 years?

its probably a failure of my own imagination but i dont quite grasp the vision or it doesn’t fully ‘click’ for yet

1 Like

We’re certainly a very nounish pair, so glad that comes across :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Also, really appreciate you giving me a call over the weekend to discuss. Look forward to fielding questions during this week’s town hall as you suggested, rather than rushing this on chain (have had a few delegation offers to get me the additional Noun required for submission after Noun 400).

You mention that Small Grants was formed to facilitate smaller grants, though the group has since evolved to have a fully open discretionary mandate (we’re going to change the name soon to reflect this). Will Noun Haus have a specific mandate for things that you’d fund, or do you intend for this to be totally up to your discretion like Small Grants? It sounds like you will focus on Nouns Builder projects (very exciting) but do you envision expanding beyond that?

The evolution of Small Grants and the work you’ve done have been a huge inspiration for making this proposal. Not to mention the fact that I got my start as a Nouns DAO contributor after having received a small grant that I passed through to Nouns Athletes.

NOUN HAUS intends to function in a consultative and collaborative manner with Small Grants, where we add value by filling gaps that emerge and forwarding on opportunities where relevant. We’d like to be discretionary as to not restrict the experimental nature, but have no desire to compete with Small Grants on opportunities. Extensions are where we can add the most value and our niche experience is where our passion lies – a public alliance would be paramount and I think it’s very likely our referrals would lead to more inbound opportunities for Small Grants as well.

Is this a for-profit pod or a grants program? It sounds like you’ll be doing both. You mention you will request more grants funding in the future, but when it comes to operations/compensation funding, that will be funded by the returns you are making from investments in the future? What are some of the ways that you plan to generate revenue?

NOUN HAUS would operate a grants program AND showcase projects we’ve built, or have contributed to (by issuing grants and providing guidance). We’d be doing both in practice, but with a clear line of demarcation, whereby we’d lead by example (as done so far) to establish potential revenue streams atop Nouns as a platform. Hyperstructures as defined by Jacob are in large part how we’ve been thinking about relevant business models. Open source and CC0 both present unique challenges for monetisation, but there’s opportunity aplenty.

There’s every chance that our experiments lead to the formation of a subDAO akin to Gnars DAO, whereby domain specificity is the enabler, but tbh that’s what we intend to find out. The chance to explore methods of self-sustenance is in part why we are so excited about this proposal. In this context, my work on Gnars DAO etc has been referenced by a number of nounish builders as inspirational and pioneering – we’ve every intention of paving a path to proliferation and guiding others toward it.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but here goes:

is this a noun salute? :saluting_face:

Great observation! But it’s actually a key to the noun haus :wink:

can you provide more examples of how clients would work together with the venture studio? what type of projects would excite you? whats the user journey like?

We would function in a similar way to small grants, but focusing on extensions is extremely interesting to us due to prior experience and we’re excited by projects that have a domain specific focus (eg. Gnars DAOish). The user journey begins at ideation when the formation of a sub-DAO / extension seems plausible – from validation (0) to propagation (1) to proliferation (N) – so from “how can I fund my idea” to “this should be a nouns extension” or something akin to a sub-DAO etc.

is nounsdao the only “LP” here?

Nouns DAO is the only LP at this stage since we would exist to help “proliferate” Nouns DAO in the way we’ve demonstrated, where we’d like to lean into proliferating nouns via extensions as opposed to propagating nouns.

will you be self-sustaining (ie, make profit)? and how?

Have explored this question here in response to 22.

corny, but where do you see the studio in 10 years?

Ideally, we should have well and truly made ourselves obsolete by this point and NOUN HAUS should exist as something else, perhaps as an extension or sub-DAO itself. But the point here is really to amalgamate our efforts in leading by example, so we’d hope to inspire others to iterate on what we do and discover new insights from the work we’ve (hopefully) done by then.

Thanks again for taking the time and also for being so supportive of our work so far within the nouniverse.

1 Like

shared some thoughts with Gami privately, sharing them here for transparency!

• i love the idea of a pod being spun up specifically to focus on extensions. NSFW/Small Grants funds extensions, but i leave the design space totally up to them for the most part. so i think there is an opportunity for a pod that helps with design and everything including/beyond initial funding. so i would be more favorable towards a pod with a mandate for extensions and i think we could work together on that really effectively
  • i do not love the idea of Noun Haus being a second fully discretionary grants program that could expand beyond extensions and into anything you personally think is interesting. i think this pod should be focused and you are the expert on extensions, no one understands them better than you, no one is more qualified
  • i am not clear on how this is a ‘venture studio’ and not another grants program. and that’s fine by me… i dont think NSFW/Small Grants has a monopoly on what deserves a grant (see nouncil grants, tech grants, prop house) but i would prefer this to be targeted as like ‘extension grants’
1 Like

Thought about this more overnight and think the specific focus on extensions would be a great strength. And of course working together would be too. Essentially we’d operate like an accelerator. But also house our own projects (full transparency to help/inspire others, lead by example, etc.).

Before going on chain I’ll make changes and post revised version as a comment.

1 Like

Revised proposal for submission:

NOUN HAUS

TL;DR

NOUN HAUS is an experimental venture studio for the Nouniverse, who fund and support builders to proliferate Nouns through domain specific extensions – ie. Venture Granters.

Background

Proposal 51 rewarded the extremely nounish Gnars DAO with 69 ETH to sponsor Nouns Athletes after a 3 ETH proof of concept funded by NSFW, which along with a myriad of other nounish experiments, informs this proposal and its approach in solving for proliferation (as opposed to propagation).

0 → 1 → N

Nouns DAO exists to facilitate a virtuous cycle of “proliferation” and yet despite our success, most of what we have funded is in fact “propagation.” This is most likely a function of first needing to occupy our own space (propagate) before we divide and conquer (proliferate).

Propagation is the multiplication or natural increase in a population while proliferation is (uncountable) the process by which an organism produces others of its kind (source)

NSFW (previously Small Grants) was originally formed to facilitate issuance of small grants. By spreading bets across a range of opportunities we’ve accelerated propagation. In many cases we’ve enabled proliferation by funding proof of concept proposals as a “validation” step.

NOUN HAUS is an alternative to NSFW who maximise daotput by empowering builders to proliferate Nouns as domain specific extensions – from zero to one to n (0 → 1 → N)

• 0 = validate
  • 1 = propagate
  • N = proliferate

NOUN HAUS is well poised for the arrival of Nouns Builder and is testament to what Noun 22 said on Bankless when you consider the impending onslaught of nounish extensions:

I think what’s critical to the future of scaling the dao […] is finding other ways to do small grants programs that get one to two ETH into the hands of as many talented builders as we can […] and then scale up their contributions…

A key insight gained during six months full-time dedication to Nouns is that smaller sized grants VALIDATE so builders can PROPAGATE; but it’s extensions that PROLIFERATE ⌐◨-◨

Pro-liferators

NOUN HAUS as a concept presents the opportunity to experiment with unbundling Nouns DAO, while having a positive curatorial influence on its proliferation via Nouns Builder and the like.

We’ve already positioned ourselves to focus on Nouns DAO contributions full-time and by establishing NOUN HAUS can amalgamate our contributions:

Gami (0xigami.eth)

Prior to joining Nouns DAO with the purchase of Noun 189 (from skateordao.eth), Gami had already forked Nouns once (Skate or DAO) and would go on to fork it thrice more. His extensive nounish experiments include:

He’s currently conducting a number of additional experiments anonymously, adivising on various other proposals, nouns-pilling an extensive network of builders, and has referred many opportunities to Small Grants and Prop House.

Benbodhi

After a self inflicted Nouns-pilling in the early months of Nouns DAO’s launch, he was immediately drawn to the elegance of the protocol and shifted everything he was doing to become nounish af. About 9 months on, we’re witnessing the birth of the nounish pro-liferatooooors in a team of ultra passionate and dedicated builders.

What he’s been up to since diving deep into the Nouns DAO rabbit hole:

• Proactive member of Nouncil, hosting 1 of 2 weekly Nouncil calls, handling admin of new memberships and trusted member of the Nouncil multi-sig crew.
  • Ran an independent art contest with the Nouncil Permissionless Grant that achieved impressive statistics in terms of impressions of and engagement with nounish art.
  • The Noun Square founding team, host, admin and trusted member of the multi-sig crew. The Noun Square is a daily twitter space celebrating Noun O’Clock, every day, forever.
  • Consulting, advising and ideation for proposals, the first of which was successful (NOC front end client), with more in the pipeline TBA.
  • Board and Moderator at Gnars DAO, spreading the nounish meme IRL in a domain specific environment (in collaboration with Gami).
  • Helping people onboard to Nouns DAO with lengthy discussions about the protocol and community plus how to be engaged, even without owning a Noun.
  • Introducing, explaining and funneling people to small grants and the different funding options within the DAO.

What To Expect

An experimental venture studio for the Nouniverse, who fund and support builders to proliferate Nouns through domain specific extensions.

• Strong nounish brand that ventures beyond our current audience
  • Migration from art.haus to noun.haus including all required SEO redirections
  • All existing content tailored with calls to action pertaining to Nouns onboarding
  • Steady growth on approx 1 million google search appearances during the past year

• Displaying ⌐◨-◨ in 1 million website owner dashboards plus the public WP repository
  • Detailed and transparent documentation of our work, further enhancing search presence
  • Twitter threads demonstrating the many facets of Nouns DAO to would-be proliferators
  • Regular Twitter Spaces and Podcast episodes openly sharing and discussing ideas
  • Some level of influence over nounish extensions as a means of quality assurance
  • Nouns Builder expertise and pre-Nouns Builder experience with manual forks
  • Complementary endeavours to the fine folk at Small Grants and Prop House
  • Many smaller bets on creators with potential to accelerate from 0 → 1 → N

Proof Of Concept

One initial proof of concept in the works is NounPress, starting as a rebrand of the 62nd most popular WordPress plugin SVG Support. This is a plugin focused on enabling site owners to use SVG formatted images within a system that doesn’t support them natively.

ie. Nouns displayed in their native SVG format.

With nearly 1 million active users, the opportunity for eyes on the brand is immense. This will be rolled into a suite of Web3-ready WordPress plugins and likely become a complete fork (hence NounPress) of the most popular CMS (used by 37% of ALL websites) on the web today.

Funding

Requesting 250 ETH for a six month engagement whereby:

• 100 ETH deposited to a small grants like fund managed with a 2 of 5 multisig setup at nounhaus.eth
  • 150 ETH streamed over 6 months to remunerate operations and associated rebranding of assets

Upon completion of a six month term NOUN HAUS is expected to be self-sufficient in terms of operational costs and intends only to submit further proposals to Nouns for grants fund refills, if and when necessary. We have every intention of applying our learnings to innovate on operational expenditure funding.

As pro-liferators, we look forward to our contributions speaking for themselves and trust that you’ll support this proposal. Our passion and dedication to Nouns DAO is unwavering and there’s nothing we’d rather be doing as entrepreneurs!

Every day,
forever.

Oliver :skateboard:

aka Ollie aka Noun 189 aka Skateboard Pfp

⌐◨

2 Likes

Thought alot about this and i dont think the proposal is strong enough. Id like it to be more focused and concentrated on one thing youve identified as a problem/opportunity. As it stands, feels bit wishy-washy and all over the place imo.

So in summary, i want you to pursue your ideas/dreams, but id rather you took this back to the drawing board and came back w a stronger and more cohesive prop.

Hi krel,

Did you get a chance to peruse the updated version in comment above yours?

The proposal was revised to have a stronger focus, namely:

ie. grants and support to builders of extensions

Thanks again.

1 Like

I completely agree with Krel. There’s a lot to read and a lot of graphics, but I don’t quite understand the impact of the proposal.

Extrapolating from the example of a Wordpress plugin, it seems like this prop will simply pay coders of Chrome and Wordpress extension to add noggles to their dashboards. It’s an interesting concept, but I’m not sure the funds being request match the strength of the idea.

1 Like

Could you try and distill the benefits to Nouns DAO in a couple of sentences?