Introduce Yourself

• What first brought you to Nouns?
    Saw the panel at NFTFest Aus

• There are plenty of experiments and projects happening in the Nouns ecosystem, which ones are interesting to you?
    Really interested in the community impact projects

• If you could teach everyone on Earth one thing about crypto, what would it be?
    I’m still learning! And still have a long way to go…

• Barbarian, Bard, Druid, or Rogue?
    None of the above

2 Likes
  • There are plenty of experiments and projects happening in the Nouns ecosystem, which ones are interesting to you?
    Proposal 173 sailing Nouns at NFT.NYC is a sweet experiment.

• If you could teach everyone on Earth one thing about crypto, what would it be?
    Community. Community. Community.

• Quick! What’s something Nouns is missing?
    Motorsports enthusiasts

• What kind of music are you listening to lately?
    Jack Harlow

Ashamed to admit, this is N/A for me.

2 Likes

Variant has purchased a number of Nouns. As new Nouns owners, we thought it only made sense to introduce ourselves in a Nounish way: via the Introduce Yourself questions. The following are our answers, and elaborate on why we’re so excited to join this community.

What first brought you to Nouns?
It’s hard to pinpoint what first brought us to Nouns, because so many people on our team have interacted with the Nouns community in various ways. What grew our collective excitement, however, was simple: we think it’s one of the most actively engaged, creative communities in all of web3.

In particular, NounsDAO pioneered the following designs for building strong, credibly neutral communities:

1. The continuous auction mechanism. One Noun is minted each day in perpetuity, which means there’s an equal opportunity for entry into the community, protected over long periods of time. It also means there’s a continuous source of funding to sustain the project.

2. A treasury governed by Noun holders, denominated in ETH. Whereas many projects today sell NFTs for the benefit of a central company, Nouns are sold for ETH that accrues to a treasury governed by Nouns holders. ETH is money, Nouns are governance. While many DAO treasuries are denominated in their native token, unbundling the job of money and governance streamlines NounsDAO’s ability to activate funding for community efforts: using ETH avoids the risk of price-related sell pressure while also ensuring that funding does not result in unnecessary dilution of governance power.

3. A CC0 model of open, permissionless tools & design parameters. Doing so creates another equitable access point for community entry by eliminating financial and legal barriers that may normally prevent a project’s users from becoming owners. The benefits are clear: Nouns continue to organically and authentically proliferate faster than its peers because community members feel empowered and supported in their contributions.

Combined, these design choices form the basis of NounsDAO’s self-propagating meme machine: the proceeds from each auction fund the treasury, the treasury funds projects to propagate the meme, and perpetuating the meme increases demand, which in turn funds the treasury. It’s a robust, positive feedback loop. This works because the meme is meaningful: it acts as a continual schelling point for community-driven projects, for everything from public goods efforts to educational workshops to in-person events.

There are plenty of experiments and projects happening in the Nouns ecosystem, which ones are interesting to you?
Nouns’ unique structure, culture of funding public goods, and process governed by user-owners gracefully coordinates economic and social incentives in a way that few other communities have achieved. In particular, the experiments outlined below highlight ways in which Nouns is actively scaling its impact, exemplifying our thesis at Variant that user-owned networks can grow bigger faster, in more sustainable and equitable ways than centralized alternatives.

1. Funding for public goods. A second order effect of the self-propagating meme machine is that Nouns can fund public goods, so long as they also serve to raise awareness about the project. Examples include a trash cleanup in Nairobi with people wearing Nouns shirts and the provision of care packages in Nouns-branded bags to children in hospitals. We’re excited to see these efforts continue to scale with Nouns.

2. NounsDAO setting a standard for how communities form and evolve. Nouns Builder, for instance, allows anyone to easily deploy a Nounish DAO – i.e. a DAO that uses Nouns’ coordination and mechanism primitives – in minutes. We expect adoption of the NounsDAO design will continue to grow and become a default for decentralized communities.

If you could teach everyone on Earth one thing about crypto, what would it be?
“Crypto represents a potent combo of ideology and incentives, and has a rich and diverse array of ideologies represented therein. One lens to view crypto through is as an experiment in shifting from shareholder to stakeholder primacy” -Li

Quick! What’s something Nouns is missing?

• “A theme song” -Alana
  • “Its Burning Man variant” -Jesse
  • “Its own ski resort” -Li

What kind of music are you listening to lately?

• “TikTik bops” -Mason
  • “Lake Street Dive, 2000s pop” -Alli
  • “Migos” -Spencer
  • “Ritviz, Kali Uchis, and Piff Marti” -Medha
  • “Interpol, White Lies” -Derek

Barbarian, Bard, Druid, or Rogue?

This post was co-authored by Jesse Walden and Alana Levin. See disclosures.

6 Likes

@alanalevin You should join us in the Jungle discord, that’s where we do weekly calls with Nouners, Tuesdays at 5:30pm EST. Hope to see you there and (virtually) meet you on the calls!

1 Like

Hey everyone, I’m Christian! I’ve been working in branded social content + journalism for about 10 years, five years full-time. I started working full-time in web3 as the lead of content at collective, the creators of House of Nouns. I also manage the House of Nouns Twitter account.

I host the Prop Talk podcast — a voter companion podcast for Nouns — and was recently funded for a trial run of Video Proposal Trailers through Prop House. Both are created with my friend Seth Anderson (@jackwyldes on Twitter).

Twitter @byhardy / Discord byhardy#8888

I definitely remember it launching and was really my first time thinking about how a DAO works, but was way out of my price range. The collective team started getting involved in Lil Nouns, and I followed soon after.

There are plenty of experiments and projects happening in the Nouns ecosystem, which ones are interesting to you?
House of Nouns, of course! I also love The Noun Square — which almost feels like Nouns FM Radio — and all Nounish content creators who aim to get Nouns in front of not only a larger web3 audience, but also the mainstream.

I also love Nouns commitment to AI with the AI Pod. It’s something I want to continue to work to incorporate into my own content.

Beyond basic necessities (i.e. food, shelter, clothes), digital ownership is just as valid, if not moreso, than owning a physical item. Today, true digital ownership is only possible with blockchain.

Attention from mainstream creators in art, video, music, etc.

I listen to John Summit sets when I work all the time. New SZA album is great. Lots of Turnstile always. Daniel Allen. Fred Again. I’m kind of all over the place.

edit: formatting

1 Like

I was attracted by the high quality, pixelated JPGs, it gives me a CryptoPunk vibe. Then, I saw the high quality discourse discussions and feel like this is the right community to be part of.

I am interested in DAO Governance practice in general.

Not Your Keys, Not Your Coins.

Some high tech experiment, like ZK, AI, or AR/VR

Experimental Jazz, Electric

Barbarian

I research about CC0 and found Nouns DAO

I’m interesting about how to decentralize power, democracy ,transparent and public domain on music field

Trust no one .

Local Communities , Web 2 expansion .

l listen fork song from around the world sometime experimental music

Bard.

1 Like
    Kevin Rose podcast
    Curiosity of where such self governance can lead
    Not your keys - not your crypto
    Incentives for memebers
    Latexfauna
    o_O
    Hello, I’m Arya. I joined the Nouns community to eventually push a proposal that I have in mind which could really bring good revenue to the Nouns treasury. More personal and professional details about me and the contributors will be in the proposal topic that I look forward to create soon. I wanted to gather as much feedback as I could before going on-chain and hence I joined Discourse. If anyone could help me out to get more involved in the community and to make my idea reach out to as many people as I can, would really appreciate that!

One interesting topic I found was about Bonuses to Noun owners from the treasury. Also gave my bit of feedback as a reply. Very interesting replies in the thread. People with contrasting views, but very sensible and creative discussion in my opinion. Another topic I found interesting was about the Nounish Cryptodemocracy ball, it’s a cause we all support - fair, democratic and transparent governance through blockchain.

I would teach people how to own their own crypto without relying on custodians and still not get hacked. Very important to push to crypto ethos forward.

This is the first time I have been on Discourse and haven’t spent enough time to notice anything that is missing in the Nouns community yet. But will definitely answer this in few days if I find something!

LoFi

@devcarrot

1 Like

Hello All,

My name is Supriyo. I am founder of Atrium.art and Hyy.pe . I’ve been in crypto since 2016 and had the chance to be involved a bunch of crypto native initiatives. At Atrium, we have been trying to build a decentralised production house for extremely high quality cinematic content.

Nouns have always been intriguing since its launch. I saw the first auction go for 600+ eth and the idea of nouns controlling a transparent treasury deployment has been a good and novel governance initiative to follow along. CC0 content is great and in terms of philosophy has a lot of merits. Currently, we have yet to see any real and lasting viral moments of cc0 which goes beyond our bubble and hopefully that changes over time.

Nouns.build is interesting. Gnars DAO is another one.

self-sovereignty.

Mainstream and extremely high bar of content being created which can cement Nouns as a timeless brand. Something which people beyond crypto care about. Some really good value experiments are already happening in this regard (See ordinary folks)

Lo-fi. Helps consistent hours of productivity.

Definitely Druid.

1 Like

Heyah :wave: been a follower for a while and didn’t know I could get involved until yesterday, when someome commented this this in response to something I suggested…so I figured this would be the perfect place to start?!

• 4156’s Twitter, the art, and of course what Nouns represents

• All of them? Heh…but seriously the prop house, nounish and the recent holiday efforts

• the beneficial impacts that it offers society as a whole

• SEO so when ppl search space related terms Nouns shows up at the top of the results, and onboard ppl from web2 into web3 through Nouns; a legitimate & sustainable project

*** What kind of music are you listening to lately?**

• mostly punk rock

•bard

1 Like

Nouns Esports

The Nounish public goods

Not your keys,Not your Crypto

Supporting music artists

Classical

Druid

1 Like

Hi! I’m Jesse (jesse.xyz on ENS, jessepollak on Twitter). I’ve worked at Coinbase for the last 6 years, previously ran all of our consumer facing engineering teams (Coinbase, Wallet, Pro) and now lead Protocols, with a focus on Ethereum L1, L2, and onchain infrastructure that accelerate the migration of our products, users, and assets onto natively onchain platforms.

I’ve been following Nouns for a while, but was waiting for the right Noun to buy. Bought #555 on Christmas Day. #555 resonated because I love tracking snowstorms as an amateur meteorologist (it’s a snowman), am very interested in onchain governance (it has a DAO shirt), and bleed Coinbase blue (blue noggles).

I’m interested in the reusability of the Nouns governance infrastructure through things like Prop House and Nounsbuilder. I believe that crypto has the potential to totally overhaul how humans make decisions and work together in groups and see Nouns at the forefront of that today.

I would get everyone an ENS name with a profile picture and have them send money to one friend who lives in another country. Feels like that user experience is a turning point for most people.

I want to see Nouns showing up in the onboarding experience for the next wave of 1B+ crypto users.

My most recently loved song on Spotify is No Smoke by LU KALA.

Rogue

2 Likes

Just introducing myself :wave: I’m a motivated and dedicated fourth grade teacher with over 10 years of experience in education. Seeking a new challenge in the web 3 community.

Hi! I’m pumey_arts from twitter, an artist from filipinouns, a recently created group for Filipino artists from PH. You can call me pums or pumey. I just joined in discourse to introduce myself as one of the community artists in Nouns, and also encouraging other people to learn and dive in into world of becoming an artist and be part of this amazing community.

Gnars. I am an artist, previously worked with MLBB and just so happen that I stumbled upon this group of athletes that supports artist as well. They held art contest around august and it was fun! And then it got me curious that Gnars is funding athletes, not similar to other crypto projects that I joined in. Aaaand kinda searched a bit more about Nouns and I was shocked that they support ideas from any people all over the world! I love how they can give chance for people to share ideas and make it into reality. This movement made me think that this is really a good and warm community.
    Proposals funding merch and any other art things that helps spread Nouns.
    They should join in this community. Regardless of holding a token or not, anyone is welcome to hop in and share ideas to make it happen in a nounish way.
  • Quick! What’s something Nouns is missing? Hmm… voting system probably? I’d suggest to focus on quality and constructive criticism way of judging anything inside this community. And active participation in voting. I can somehow see votes are less than what I expect from the volume of token holders.
  • What kind of music are you listening to lately? Jpop. Anything pop that pumps my mood to draw nounish stuffs.
  • Barbarian, Bard, Druid, or Rogue? Druid!

I was going down a tunnel of web 3 NFT based fashion projects and found myself here.

For music I’ve been listening to Tom McDonald lately.

1 Like

Hola! I’m Marcus, I’m a researcher and builder from Guatemala and am happy to be here with you all :slight_smile: Looking forward to the journey!

I can’t quite recall where the first time I came across the Nouns community was. However, the community’s focus on creating a flywheel of support for propagating a really valuable culture both inside and outside of web3 is something I deeply care about!

Being from Latin America, I’m a fan of the NounsAmigos community! One of my favourite initiatives was the project you supported at an autistic school in SG as well. My brother has down sydrome, and I’ve spent a significant amount of time working in special education, so am always really happy to see the overlap of crypto and education!

The capacity to build self-sovereign systems that minimize exploitation and enable more flourishing and equitable futures! This is exactly what I’m working with a Fellowship at the Ethereum Foundation, where I am conducting some research on the role of crypto in emerging economies. You can read more about that project here.

There will never be enough focus on public goods and creating network effects around driving positive social change in the world!

I recently went to a Bob Marley musical and was blown away by his capacity to be both an artist and the conveyor of a strong message. As such, I’ve been jamming a lot to Latin Reggae

Rogue :sunglasses:
[/quote]

2 Likes

Hi, I’m max (maxand98 on twitter).

Mostly the conversations 4156 has had around the evolution of cryptopunks and why he left that community. That thinking resonated with me having been fairly heavily into cryptopunks at one time.

The most interesting questions to me are:
    -What is the value proposition of buying a noun? Very few people can articulate an answer to that succinctly
    -Does a governance model like nouns work long term? I agree with the statement that this is the most interesting project in crypto right now because that answer to that question seems very important. The most interesting experiments in nouns are definitely the most on chain ones.

The notion and power of disintermediation and self sovereignty. It’s hard to teach but a red pill moment if someone can understand what that means

Better directories for all the activities and members. A music project/radio station

Fred again. Reminds me nouns needs a radio station like this

you tell me

3 Likes

Hi all! I’m Mike (msizz.eth on ENS, and msizzzzz on Twitter). I’ve been a web2 founder building B2B2C co’s for the past ~10 years and most recently a partner at an accelerator & early stage VC here in NYC. I am incredibly excited to be part of NounsDAO as I have a particular interest in exploring decentralized governance and identity.

I have been a Nouns follower from the beginning and a recent session between 4156 and 6529 really resonated.

Like others, I’ve seen Nouns create some of the most interesting infrastructure/tools for DAO’s and there is so much more to be done. P.S. Love the idea of the upcoming Prop 200 (Nouns Mail)!

Power of self-sovereignty and the usefulness of compostability

Even more experimentation with governance tools and infrastructure.

Work-Jams Above & Beyond
Relax Xavier Rudd

Rogue

Being in an active and exciting community with many wonderful possibilities in the future

Gnars, Nouns BR, Events, Solidarity Actions, Films

Study a lot. Get informed, learn, unlearn, discover, innovate

Bull Marketing

Pink Floyd

Druid

1 Like