DCS Pod - 8 to 25 ETH props

The idea is to start a pod to fund the current marginalised props running in the 8 to 25 ETH range. This will be the DOING COOL SHIT POD.

The pod will convene once a week on an open call to discuss what has been proposed through discourse since the last meeting and be available to the community. This will foster discussion about props, help engage with builders and hopefully elevate the quality of props that get funded. (similar format to what we are doing with the esports pod)

I am looking to find other 4 pod members to write a prop to run a multisig funding props at our discretion.

Budget: 148 ETH
Breakdown:

• props: 100 ETH
  • admin: 48 ETH
    • 18 ETH for 1 person to be in charge of community engagement and regular meeting organization (3 ETH per month for 6 months)
    • 30 ETH for pod members (1 ETH per person per month)

Pod members are required to attend weekly meetings and actively give feedback on props. Pod members can be removed and replaced based on participation (which will be decided by the remaining members of the pod).

The person in charge of admin tasks will make a summary of the meeting in writing, which will be available to the public through discord (and possibly somewhere else, tbd), be active on discourse and discord (granted a channel is created in the nouns server. otherwise weā€™d have our own discord).

The committeeā€™s gnosis safe will require 3 of 5 members to sign.

Yours truly,
B

P.S.: this one goes out to you, @willprice.

6 Likes

Great idea, how can I help you with this B?

1 Like

You can make any suggestions you think could improve this initial idea.
Or you can volunteer to be a member of the pod, p.e.
:purple_heart:

3 Likes

Juan and I both are happy to help.

2 Likes

Iā€™m interested in helping. Prof and I recently did a Nounish Consultants pilot. You can check out more here āŒā—Ø-ā—Ø Nounish Consultants: Pilot Cohort - #12 by Emma

2 Likes

Very interested in being a part of this!! Love doing cool shit! I could dedicate my time to being the person in charge of meting organization and community engagement if this is desired.

1 Like

i am v interested in being part of this. how can i be of help?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure yet! Seeing where we are atm and will come back with more answers later. just wanted to give some feedback now
thanks for wanting to take part!

1 Like

UPDATED PROP

DCS pod

tl;dr
A pod that funds props ranging from 8-25 Īž.

The idea is to start a pod to fund the current marginalised props running in the 8 to 25 ETH range. This will be the DOING COOL SHIT POD.

The pod plays a role in three ways:

• By funding asks in the 8-25 Īž range, it helps builders scope work that are larger than NSFWā€™s and Prop Houseā€™s provisions, and lower than regular on-chain asks.
  • It has a transparent decision making framework. (but the decisions are discretionary and will not be put up to a DAO vote)
  • It gives voice to often overlooked, but high potential proposals.

How will the group work?

1. Props will be submitted to the pod through forms.
  2. Prop will be discussed on call.
  3. Prop will be voted on discord.

An AddressBoard platform will be first created to receive proposal ideas, just like what has been created for Lil Sisters Fund (see image below).

Lil Sisters AddressBoard application form.

The pod will convene once a week on an open call to discuss what has been proposed through AddressBoard since the last meeting and be available to the community. This will foster discussion about props, help engage with builders and hopefully elevate the quality of props that get funded. (similar format to what I, B, am doing with Lil Sisters and the esports pod)

After discussion, pod members will decide which props will be funded by voting on a dedicated discord channel.

Pod members are required to attend weekly meetings and actively give feedback on props. Pod members can be removed and replaced based on participation (which will be decided by the remaining members of the pod).

The person in charge of admin tasks will make a summary of the meeting in writing, which will be available to the public through on the DCS discord, be active on discourse and discord (a discord server will be created on the approval of this prop).

To help engage with the community, we will create a twitter account where each prop can be tweeted about and receive feedback from the community as replies.

The committeeā€™s gnosis safe will require 3 of 5 members to sign.

Budget: 468 ETH
Breakdown:

• props: 300 ETH
  • admin: 168 ETH
    • 18 ETH for 1 person to be in charge of community engagement and regular meeting organization (3 ETH per month for 6 months)
    • 150 ETH for pod members (5 ETH per person per month)

For context, this is 1,6% of our treasury. We are aiming to propose a low-risk/high-reward pod.

Pod members:

1. B, yours truly. [Twitter @beautyandpunk, Discord thebeautyandthepunk#8285]
  2. Oni: Active Nouner & Prop Builder. [Twitter @apenoun, Discord Oni#1111]
  3. Sam Ellis is a visual story teller and purveyor of fun who left legacy media to better connect with his patrons and fans in the world of web. [Twitter @manofmissle, Discord samellis āŒā—Ø-ā—Ø#4764]
  4. Juan: Classically trained in the art of software development and business strategy, Iā€™m a tech entrepreneur with over 20 years of experience building cool shit. [Twitter @juanhernanx, Discord Juan āŒā—Ø-ā—Ø#2492]
  5. Brook: Iā€™m a podcast host, active Lil Nouns contributor, founding member of Lil Nouncil, and active DAO-to-DAO governance participant. [Twitter @0x1092, Discord Brook#5900]
  6. Admin, tbd.

If at the end of the 6-month period not enough good props were found and funded, the funds will be returned to the Nouns DAO treasury. If the props funded were to be successful, leading to cool apps/tools/community building/engagement, we would ask for the continuation of the work through extended funding (granted by a new on-chain prop).

5 Likes

gm. great idea and very much an advocate of doing cool shit <> low-risk/high-reward.

i see admin is tbd; happy to help re admin, community engagement and meeting organisation if it hasnā€™t been filled.

āŒā—Ø-ā—Ø

1 Like

I really like the emphasis on an orderly schedule, public feedback and pod accountability. As with all pods, I think itā€™s important to demonstrate a real use-case and track-record before an ask of this size. A 75 ETH pool (any combo between 9x 8ETH projects - 3x 25 ETH projects) and a 3 month term should be enough to get up and running and show what DCS Pod can do.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time and giving this feedback.
Iā€™ve discussed with the pod and we all agree with your suggestions. So it would be:
Budget: 126 ETH*
Breakdown:

• props: 75 ETH
  • admin: 51 ETH
    • 6 ETH for 1 person to be in charge of community engagement and regular meeting organization (2 ETH per month for 3 months)
    • 45 ETH for pod members (3 ETH per person per month for 3 months)

*ca 0,4% of our treasury.

3 Likes

I like the structure youā€™ve laid out and love to see more grants programs being born. Also, I agree and prefer the new budget size (126 ETH). Feels more reasonable given its a first go.

Since the ecosystem is now taking new shape with the dissolution of a central discord, have you given thought to how you are going to attract new builders? What sort of builders DCS is best suited to fund?

While grants pods by size certainly worked prior to discord dissolution, I think itā€™s worth considering grant pods by distribution or expertise or even a mix of the two (eg nouns brazil, nouns music, etc). The goal being to have the people closest to the builders, who have the most context and are best suited to the make domain-specific decisions, be the ones funding them as opposed to having a DAO-wide grant bucket for specific ranges.

Thatā€™s not to say that pods shouldnā€™t have parameters to abide by (I donā€™t have a problem with DCS doing 8 - 25 ETH) or that open-ended grant pods donā€™t make sense but maybe itā€™s worth explaining what DCS would be looking to fund and why they are well suited to do so?

If the futures paints the DAO as having several grant programs ongoing, I think they should be funded on the merits of why they are best suited to serve some specific subset of builders (eg distribution, expertise, etc).

6 Likes

I agree that having people closer to the builders is great. But I also know that it will be difficult to see Nouns DAO allocating larger sums to all sub-daos/pods we have so we all could fund these larger props.

Also, it still leaves the problem of 8-25 ETH props unresolved, if they do not fit into a category we already tap into. If something new, aimed at a new audience comes in, they would still be facing the issue. And I have had against votes simply because of my ask (~13 eth), so we could miss out on cool props bc they are in this range.

So in the end we will still have the issue of marginalised props, if they are in a new area and would not be funded by one of the current pods/sub-daos.

Iā€™d be super happy to reach out to an expert in their field depending on what prop comes to us. Iā€™ve been in contact with people from different spheres, which is awesome, and would give me the ability to tap into those contacts and resources. This would be a way to have an expert opinion, and fix the marginalised prop issue. Also, contacting the field experts so they know of DCS pod is a first step for them to send builders our way, getting people aware and tweeting/sharing on discord, p.e., so more builders find out about us.

I know I am not proposing anything different than whatā€™s above, but trying to fund all areas we cover is going to be a huge task. The DCS pod could also give us a sense of where these props are coming from, so, if we decide to go your route (which would be great), we know where to allocate more funds/fund first.

I think this sort of funding mechanism is needed, that being said, paying admins 0.68 for every 1 eth spend on funding doesnt sit right with me.
I dont think there will even be enough workload to justify paying 6 people 3 eth a month, what are these numbers based on?
AFAIK only a tiny amount of proposals fit within this range and cant be cut down to a sub 8 eth MVP.

I would love to help with this anyway I can. I am currently doing a ton of cool shit that has not been shared yet and would love to have an organised process to talk and propose things as well as help others with their ideas as needed

1 Like

The workload is yet to be determined, but as we know it can be a lot of work. Another reason why we shortened the trial: if there is less work than expected, we reduce the compensation, p.e.
And I see what you mean with the percentage of compensation and prop funding, but I also do not believe people should work for free (although I also do work for free on other pods). We are currently paying 20k-30k USD per month for people working for the DAO, and this is significantly lower.
It is also important to keep in mind we will read, analise and discuss a lot of props to get to the ones that get funding, so our end work will not just be limited to the number of props that are funded, but will/could be a lot higher.
I will gladly increase the budget for props to shift that ratio =)

2 Likes

if the prop passes we will open applications for the position :slight_smile:
thanks for showing interest!

4 Likes

Compliments on the concept plan. This fits well with the current development of the Nouns and can further amplify it by enhancing the diversity and quality of the grants.
My name is B123 and active for the creatoreconomy Pod at Wildfire Dao. Our objective is furthering the DAO space and helping to foster positive outcomes.
We would like to contribute to the further development and implementation of the plan after final approval. Are you open to this and is a discovery call perhaps a possible suggestion?

1 Like